Range Rovers Forum banner

Exhaust Manifold to exhaust pipe leak on bmw range

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  diff 
#1 ·
For a while I have heard an unusual sound emanating from front passenger side front wheel well. Tonite I confirmed the seal between exh pipe and manifold is puffing air. Got an engine light the other day so probably is why. My question is to anyone who has done this repair. Will the parts come apart without breaking the manifold studs and can the pipe be pushed back enough without have to drop the whole system so a sealing ring can be installed. I assume both sides would have to be disconnected at the same time.

#3 ·
Do you know what codes? Hoping I'm not in the same boat.. I wish you luck on taking the manifold off, the studs always are seized. Use AeroKroil, the stuff really creeps and in my experience always beats out PBlaster

#4 ·
No catalytic converter in there?
I've got a catalytic converter between my exhaust manifold and "tailpipe", and I have had to remove it and get a seam welded... once or twice...
But it gave me no troubles. It unbolted front (from the exhaust manifold) and back ("tailpipe", or actually the rest of the exhaust pipe) with no drama.

I know it's been posted from many other posters over the years, each with our own experience.

I hope yours is as simple too.

#5 ·
Thx 03. Yes it has the cat in there which has a flange on it to bolt to the manifold. The main thing is that the nuts will undo without drama in the sense of not having the stud break off. My searches did not bear fruit for this issue.

#6 ·
Finally crawled under and found 1 nut was loose. Other nuts seemed extremely snug so did not want to mess with them and snap the studs. They would be a fair candidate for a nut splitter if there was one of small diameter. ? Hint. And the rust does seem to shrink their size a bit so it makes sense to replace as rave says. Quiet for now.
Keralis, the code I got was for water temp coming up too slowly P0128.

#7 ·
Can you describe the sound you heard that alerted you to the trouble? I still have a sharp high, pitched (exhaust) squeal on moderate acceleration from cold/warm which disappears when the engine/exhaust is up to full working temp. It sounds like a pressure valve or turbo waste gate blowing off...

#8 ·
Sounds a bit like puffing air. I could feel the puffs of air when I put my hand by the joint. Not a high pitched sound and it went a way when the parts heated and the gap was sealed. H4 I did not read if you had checked your harmonic balancer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.