Range Rovers Forum banner

M62TU Timing chains, guides, Vanos, etc

14K views 118 replies 10 participants last post by  timc 
#1 ·
Looks like the wife's 2003 Rover will be getting timing chains, guides and tensioners done, as well as the Vanos seals from Beisin. We looked at trading it against a really clean '08 Supercharged, but the numbers weren't making sense to me.
So if we're keeping it, I'll get rid of the noise it makes all the time pretty much. Think it's trying to impersonate my daily driver....
Land vehicle Vehicle Truck Transport Mode of transport

I'll be doing some reading, but if anyone wants to chime in with part numbers and suppliers, I'd appreciate it. I've seen a few threads that threatened to post part numbers etc, but never did. I also shot Will Tillery an email asking for a package deal, so I'll see what he says. BMW parts would be my first choice, as they lasted 185k miles so far.

Martin

See less See more
#2 ·
Buy parts from ECStuning and eEuroParts, IWIS is great for chains, but nothing else. Stay away from VAICO and MTC for guides, they're the definition of cheap parts.. If you go to the BMW dealership for coolant, ask for a discount and they'll usually give you a few dollars off. Maybe that just because I know the BMW/LR dealership.. Goodluck!

Oh, you will need a 3/4 27mm for the crank bolt.. I snapped a solid 1/2 drive breaker bar, make that two :lol:

#3 ·
LLT. Thats some rig. Is that an Arnott system on the tag axle. I have never seen anything like your rig on our local highways.

#6 ·
Arnott make nothing for commercial use.
The pusher axle (A tag axle goes behind the drives), is a Hendrickson 20,000lb capacity item.
You wont see them up there like mine because they dont recognize a lift axle for some retarded reason, and it's too long for the idiotic laws up there. Max wheelbase up there just got increased to 285" IIRC. Mine is 302".

Martin

#7 ·
I can get this, for just over a grand delivered.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/TCKL322

Thoughts?
And I'll order a 27mm 3/4" drive socket I guess......seeing as my 1/2" drive stuff wont handle the bolt! I have heard it called the "Jesus bolt" before.

Martin

#8 ·
If your 1/2 stuff has a warranty I'd try it, you'll need a 6 ft breaker bar (okay well that would be a little extreme, I meant cheater bar..) and probably two people :lol:

I think that kit is overpriced, I spent around $550 on all of my project, VANOS and guides/chains. Note that the BMW e53 X5 has the same kits, and are usually more reasonable. Make sure it's the M62 X5 either 4.4/4.6/4.8 and not the N62. I ordered a couple wrong parts because of that silly mistake.

The kit I based off was this: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/timing-chain-kit/11311435026kt6/ that weird funnel shaped thing you won't need either..

I deleted some of the parts that I wouldn't need and I replaced some of the overpriced OE BMW parts with trusted suppliers like Bosch and Febi. I wish I could just list down the parts I bought but unfortunately didn't write anything down.

#9 ·
I dont mind going genuine parts, if it last another 185k miles.
On top of the timing stuff would be the Baisin Vanos stuff, cam holding tools, and a water pump.
New crank bolt from my reading too, seeing as its a stupid stretch bolt (Why oh why??)
So you're saying you got all the timing stuff, gaskets, seals, and the Vanos crap for @$550????
My 27mm is an impact socket. It's got warranty from HF, but maybe that is my warning, HF!!! ROFL
Of course, if you fancy a trip to Mo, the wife makes really good food and you can drive the Lsx powered P38 in your down time......:lol:
Martin

#10 ·
I bought all genuine BMW parts (getBMWparts.com) and it cost me around $1,300 plus another $300 in tools.

You'll need a 3/4" drive breaker bar and socket to remove the crankshaft bolt.

I also spent $150 to have the camshaft covers media blasted and powder coated.

#11 ·
Here's a parts list I have:

Timing Chain - Iwis (OEM) 11311741746
Center Crankshaft Bolt - Genuine BMW 11231736585
Cylinder Head Oil Check Valve (E38 E39 E52 E53) - Genuine BMW 11121706921 (x2)
Timing Chain Guide Upper - Genuine BMW 11311435028 (x4)
Oil Separator (540 740) - Genuine BMW 11151705272
Valve Cover Seal Washer - Elring 11121437395 (x16)
Valve Cover Seal Washer - Reinz 11121721879 (x6)
Camshaft Solenoid Gasket - Reinz 11141435023 (x2)
Valve Cover Gasket Set Left - Reinz 11120034105
Valve Cover Gasket Set Right - Reinz 11120034104
Oil Dipstick O-Ring - Reinz 11431707164
Distribution Housing Gasket Left (Cylinders 5-8 ) - Reinz 11361705579
Distribution Housing Gasket Right (Cylinders 1-4) - Reinz 11361705578
Water Pump Gasket - Genuine BMW 11511731372
Alternator Gasket/O-Ring - Bosch F00M258503
Timing Chain Guide Left Lower - Genuine BMW 11311745406
Timing Chain Guide Rail - Genuine BMW 11311741777
Timing Chain Guide Rail - Genuine BMW 11311741236
Timing Cover Gasket Set Lower - Reinz 11141436978
Crankshaft Seal Front - Elring 11141275466
Timing Cover Seal Strip (Cylinders 5-8 ) - Reinz 11141741128
Timing Cover Seal Strip (Cylinders 1-4) - Reinz 11141741127
Coolant Pipe O-Ring - Reinz 11531710048
Coolant Pipe O-Ring - Reinz 11531710055
Beisan Systems M62tu Vanos Kit
Beisan Systems Pick Tool Set (optional but extremely useful)
Timing Chain Tensioner Lower - INA 11317531813
Oil Pan Gasket - Reinz 11131436324 (540i/740i) | Elring 11137500261 (X5)
Oil Level Sensor O-Ring - Victor Reinz 12611744292
Seal Ring - Genuine BMW 11141736758
Oil Filter Kit - Hengst 11427510717
Motor Oil - 8+ quarts (I used Mobil 1 0W40)
Coolant - 2+ gallons (I used a 60-40 mixture of BMW coolant and distilled water)

I made this list for all M62tu engines, so just use the X5 parts where applicable. The M62tu in the X5 is identical to the M62tu in the Range Rover. I did a chain guide job in my formerly-owned 2004 Range Rover and then in my 2003 X5 4.6. The procedure was more or less identical, aside from some silly quirks like the dipstick tube location (it was on the side in the Range Rover and in the front on the X5).

I highly recommend the German Auto Solutions tools: https://www.germanautosolutions.com...m62tu_cam_tools/product_m62_pro_cam_tools.php They're much easier to use than the other tools.

#12 ·
So it sounds like Will Tillery's price for genuine parts is inline then?
I can get a 3/4" drive socket, no big deal as I have a 3/4" SAE set already, so have a breaker bar etc.
Cam covers got powder coated etc when I got the rig, and redid all the gaskets etc up there.

Martin

#13 ·
DANNY, thank you!!!!
I will get online and do some checking tonight, see what I come up with mate.
I've seen the cam locking tools on Ebay, but will follow your lead and get the one you mentioned if you have tried different ones.
I'm trying to decide what to do first...... I have a pair of locking FJ80 axles to go under either a P38 I have sitting here, or the DII.
EAS on my LSx powered P38 is going nuts, until I just pulled the relay!
Youngest kids 924 wants attention, but he's only 13 so....
Then the wife's MkIII timing chains and vanos.
Only thing that is good is the middle kids (14yrs old) GMC Envoy now I sorted the cam actuator etc. Go figure huh?

And I picked up a 3/4" drive 27mm socket when I went to town, so getting there....rofl

Martin

#20 ·
EAS on my LSx powered P38 is going nuts, until I just pulled the relay!

Martin
So? Isn't that normal P38 operation? :lol:
I don't think my EAS ever worked, but I guess I was a high schooler with a mother who only let the dealership do repairs :roll:

They're the same, at least I hope.. I've been running an e53 pump so you can get either genuine LR or BMW if you want genuine parts. I think it'd be beneficial to take half an hour and create a shopping list based on Danny's parts on whatever website you'd like. Whether it be ECS, eEuro, FCPEuro, or AutohausAZ.

#14 ·
Danny,
Guessing the "Master" kit over the "Professional" tool kit, due to being able to lock both banks at once? I would imagine doing each bank one at a time would be a major PIA....

Martin

#15 ·
Yeah you'll want the Master kit. Doing one bank at a time just increases the chances of something going wrong. It's only $250 for a very high quality, made in USA kit, so it's well worth the price.

I previously had the older style timing tools and while they worked fine, they weren't as precise and I often ended up needing to adjust the timing afterwards.

#16 ·
Master kit ordered from GAS.
Beisin stuff ordered, seal kit, extra teflon seal, press and picks.
Looking at this, all good brands and everything I need? Not all BMW/LR like the AB kit, but just as good?
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/timing-chain-kit/11311435026kt6/

Will replace the water pump while its off, unknown when it was done last.... Genuine or ??
Same as the E53 X5 water pump?

Martin

#17 ·
That list will be awesome for when I start the guides on both of my 04s, and while I'm here, how's the X5 doing, Danny?

I'll agree on the timing set from GAS, the ones that I own, the standard set, are horrendous compared to GAS tools.

#18 ·
I'd go genuine for the water pump, but if you find an aftermarket and do some searching on the company it's good. I use a GRAF pump with the metal impeller and it's been great for the past 20k miles, no play whatsoever. Then again, 180k vs 20k..

#19 ·
Genuine BMW X5 unit, or LR unit?
They "look" the same, but.......
What about the whole "kit" from ECS?
As you may have gathered, I dont have the time to order a piece here and a piece there.No telling when I head back out again, and have @4 other rigs to keep on top of, besides the Western Star!

Martin

#22 ·
#25 ·
Think the "kit" from ECS will work, instead of me piecing everything together and missing something?

The LSx P38 is actually quicker to 60 than the wife's MkIII!!! It goes, thats for sure. I'd rather like to snag a Callaway gear for the transfer case, makes it 1.4:1 (IIRC), so adds a little oomph on take off. My youngest, a true petrol head who has the '78 924, says I should either turbo or supercharge it too. Blown axles anyone?

Martin

#29 ·
Look at the Beisan Systems site, they recommend a couple gaskets and two NRV valves that should be done when you replace the seals in the Vanos units.

Don't forget the crankshaft holder as you will bend or break the flywheel pin, if you don't use it.

I too recommend the German Auto Solutions Master Timing Kit. I followed their instructions along with the Beisan Systems instructions to the letter and my engine now purrs like a sewing machine. No more Vanos rattle or chain guide noises.

#26 ·
Yes the kit will work, but I still think you should compare it to Danny's list, make sure the kit has everything because I know the feeling all too well of forgetting a single part :lol:

I don't doubt the P38s faster, I timed my 05 to 60 in around 10 seconds on an iPhone timer, I mean all Range Rovers are bloated land yachts (not that it's a bad thing) but when you stuff almost 400HP into anything it usually goes :lol:

It'd be awesome to see a supercharger stuck in a Rover, I'd bet most people wouldn't know what the heck just beat them at the green light..

Anyways, weren't the P38s lighter than the L322s? I think I read that somewhere, but then again I have the memory intake equivalent to a brick..

#27 ·
Not sure on the weights. Solid axles, an actual frame, and so on in a P38. SOB is still sat perfectly level with just the EAS timer relay removed, so investigate tomorrow I guess. Time for the Faultmate to come out to play, and see what it has for height sensor values. May be a bad sensor throwing everything off.
I'll compare part numbers tomorrow morning, been a long day already (and whiskey has been involved in tonights equation)
Water pump ordered BTW.
I think the missus is kinda pissed, as she was hoping for a newer one! Big difference between @$12-13k and @$1k though! She'll get over it, or get a new job that pays a boat load of money.....Her choice

Martin

#28 ·
Hahaha

I agree on height sensors, even my L322 sensors go nuts 1/4 of the time making the thing go bump stops on one driver side and full off-road height on passenger, I really should take a picture of that it looks hilarious, I should drive down the road and see what the cop thinks of it.. Maybe not, that idea sounded better in my head..

#30 ·
The ECS kit comes with 2 NRV's, so should be covered there. Mind, I've replaced every part that was rumored to be a "quick fix" for the rattle, over the years already......lol
I'm thinking of making my own tool. Just remove the pulley, use those holes as a template, drill away on the press, viola. I have steel stock laying around up to 1" thick, so should be ok in that department!
For @$60, its a no brainer. That buys a LOT of steel, even if I needed to purchase it.
I'll look through the Beisin stuff and see if the seals are included in the stuff I'll be ordering.
Thanks!

Martin

#32 ·
Danny,
No camshaft chain tensioners???

#34 ·
I just replaced the little plastic guides that are on the chain tensioners, plus the o-rings on them (which are included in the Beisan kit). The cam chain tensioners don't really wear out.

I generally don't replace the cam chains either, unless the engine has high mileage. My X5 4.6 had 213k miles when I did the guides so I replaced all of the chains.

#33 ·
Thanks guys.
I ordered the kit, then a few parts on top of that, that were not included in the kit. Anyone want an oil separator? ROFL
So....
Timing stuff ordered
Beisin stuff ordered
GAS Holding tools ordered
New water pump ordered.
Hopefully the POS will be fine for a while after I get all that in there.

Martin

#36 ·
Hopefully the POS will be fine for a while after I get all that in there.

Martin
ahahaha

Considering it's done 180k I think you might get up to having the highest mileage L322, I haven't seen a BMW generation one with more than 200k since everyone lets them go after the guides break.

Plus side of where I am, it's about 8 hours to Chicago and there is a haven of P38s and L322s with low miles just simple stuff broken like EAS and cooling systems the people that live there can't afford to fix.. I have an 04 which I bought for $3200 with 120k that just needed a radiator and lower radiator hose.

#35 ·
Ahh OK. This one has 187k miles now, so I'll just do it all and be done with it....lol
Everything is ordered, so I will wait for stuff to arrive and get on with it. My luck, the fone will ring the day it all arrives and I'll have to head out again!

Martin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.