Range Rovers Forum banner

Thermostat(how can I find out if one I have is compatible)

787 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Robbing 
#1 ·
2006 RR HSE

My temp is coming up to normal operating quickly enough so I'm thinking my tstat might be stuck open. I have a termostat from my 07 Jag XK that is brand new. They look just a like. Are tstats pretty standard? Would it be ok to use on the Rover?

#2 ·
Different brands and mappings have different running temps. BMW and Range Rover differed in running temps for the same engine. Without knowing the specs for the Jag thermostat there is no way I personally would use it. The Rover Thermo runs a bit hotter than most cars for more complete/cleaner fuel burning. Folks that have used the cooler BMW thermos have often ran into fast build up of carbon and ignition issues down the road. Proper rated thermos are easily had under $100.

As a side note you can always set your thermo in a pan of water with candy thermometor and see what temp it opens at. It should be fully open around 215-225F / 102-107c with correct coolant and mixture.

#4 ·
Wow, so you have me thinking I've solved something now. I also have P0358 353 352 and 355. I've tried changing plugs and ignition coil but no success. I've done tons of Google searches and on one I found someone that had the same code I did(P1368 for the coolant temp not going up quick enough) plus had some of the 350s like I did. The answer was behind a pay wall so I couldn't see it but thought it was strange someone had the same codes with the 1368. Since you say it runs hotter to promote cleaner fuel burning could that mean that if it's not getting hot quickly enough that it's not burning the fuel the same, thus giving me the 350 codes? I say this because every once in a while the check engine light will go off and I've noticed it's typically towards the end of the day and I've also been driving a lot. I'm thinking maybe the coolant is already up to temp at that point so it doesn't run cool for too long. Any chance I could be correct on this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.