Catalytic converter/exhaust system recall
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net Ė General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Catalytic converter/exhaust system recall

Catalytic converter/exhaust system recall

I just got a letter from LRNA saying that the catalytic converter/exhaust system is being recalled due to faulty welding... Anyone else get it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

darrinturner

Re: Catalytic converter/exhaust system recall

All,
    This is not a recall, this is an extended warranty program (Program Number Q05.
    It extends the factory warranty on your exhaust system for 11 years or 120,000 miles.

If you notice an unusual exhaust system noise from the under hood area, take it it for servicing.

FOUNDING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by black05
    I just got a letter from LRNA saying that the catalytic converter/exhaust system is being recalled due to faulty welding... Anyone else get it?
    This is not a recall. There is no faulty welding. It says that the housing of "some" catalytic converters may experience a small weld crack. It does not mention anything the exhaust system having any faulty welding.

All they are doing is extending the warrenty from 7 yrs/70,000 miles to 11 yrs/120,000 miles for this specific problem only.

A true recall would ask owners to return all vehicles for remedial work and that is not want they are doing.
    97 4.6 SSE and 04 4.4 HSE

I'm sorry that I couldn't quote the exact issue at hand you ---. I was on my phone and I didn't have the letter in front of me.I was just seeing if it was legitimate is all. Unfortunately you can't seem to do anything around here without some type of criticism. I'm not surprised. I'm officially out of here being as I'm not wanted obviously anyway. Good bye.

Quote Originally Posted by black05
    I'm sorry that I couldn't quote the exact issue at hand you ---. I was on my phone and I didn't have the letter in front of me.I was just seeing if it was legitimate is all. Unfortunately you can't seem to do anything around here without some type of criticism. I'm not surprised. I'm officially out of here being as I'm not wanted obviously anyway. Good bye.
    The folks that responded simply corrected your misinformation to clarify any confusion that you had or that may come up. There is a huge difference between a recall and an issue based warranty extension. Their responses just help folks that haven't received the letter yet understand what is really at hand.
    My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

SGW
    FRESHMAN ROVER

On my 02 vogue 4.4 the WELD on the right hand cat split, removed the cat/pipe tig welded it back up. Don't think this exhaust warranty covers UK models. Mine has done 124000 + miles anyway.
    Stewart.
    Owned first RR in 1978 had 5 since. Present one's 2002 Giverny Green Vogue and 2002 Giverny Green HSE both 4.4 LPG.

darrinturner

Maybe my tone was bad, but I meant no disrespect. I just wanted to make sure people donít rush to their dealers to have a recall done to be informed that they are wrong and that it is not a recall.

Many years ago, when I had my P38 I had some member tell me to sell it and move on to another forum. (he was not very nice) But than a year or so later he sent me a private message apology.

We all come from different back grounds and walk differently on this earth. But we all are brought together by this forum and our love for our Land Rovers.

Because of our different backgrounds we should take care that we donít read something wrong and take offence to it.

Cheers to all.
    Happy 4th and Happy Roving!

Darrin
    Xtreme Rovers

Thanks for the great post Darrin. Balck05 has been deactivated by request. However the accuracy of this topic is still very active.

For some MarkIII owners your warranties will be extended for this topic. Please be carefull not to raid your dealers service desk thinking this is a full recall item. If you think you fall within this topic, proceed carefully to your dealer and ask for details.
    My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

FRESHMAN ROVER

You work for the dealer or something proceed carefully anybody that believes they fall into the catagory for this work on there rangie is at least gonna call.You sound like you are the dealer.Are there mostly dealers on here are owners i notice sometimes people post problems and no one has nothing to say its like there forcing them to use the dealer to solve there problems.Now there a few real mechanical enthusist type excuse me if a spelled it wrong but seems 75-90 percent are sounding like dealers.The p38 forum has way more diy threads and is way more mechanicly helpfull from an independent stand point and the other 10-20 percent are critical as hell.And feel they know what people life saving are bye a few type sentences
    2003 RR java black keyed

FOUNDING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by minnesota mitch
    You work for the dealer or something proceed carefully anybody that believes they fall into the catagory for this work on there rangie is at least gonna call.You sound like you are the dealer.Are there mostly dealers on here are owners i notice sometimes people post problems and no one has nothing to say its like there forcing them to use the dealer to solve there problems.Now there a few real mechanical enthusist type excuse me if a spelled it wrong but seems 75-90 percent are sounding like dealers.The p38 forum has way more diy threads and is way more mechanicly helpfull from an independent stand point and the other 10-20 percent are critical as hell.And feel they know what people life saving are bye a few type sentences
    What planet are you from?

The mantra of this forum has always been to support your local idependant Rover repair shop, buy an extended warranty and DIY. Several members have been working on and posting DIY threads and we have been directing members to download the free RAVE workshop manual which has detailed DIY information.

Yes I just deleted one of your posts because it was a duplicate and I only know of one member who is a service advisor at a dealer. Most members refer ro the dealer as the Stealer.

Items that are covered under factory warranty should be take to the dealer unless you want to pay out of pocket.
    97 4.6 SSE and 04 4.4 HSE

My 2004 Ranger Rover catalytic converter has basically given up on life yesterday and beyond a welding fix. What I am surprised at is that it only has 40,000 on the clock so should not find such a failure so soon (though I am ready told otherwise). Does anyone know whether the part number for the North American and European/UK versions are the same? Is there any reason why if the problem manifest itself in the US it should not in the UK?

JUNIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by dingo
    ...Is there any reason why if the problem manifest itself in the US it should not in the UK?
    It wouldn't neccessarily be an issue of it failing more in the U.S than the U.K, but the actions of consumer and/or environmental protection agencies. My guess is that the U.S. EPA has imposed the extended warranty on the item due to actual failures or likelyhood of projected failure. The U.S. EPA requires the warranty period of emission control system parts to be a standard length of time that is usually longer than the warranty for the rest of most vehicles. The auto maker has no choice in the length of warranty for emission control parts, unless they would voluntarily extend beyond what's required. And that's not bloody likely.

So I'd further think that the U.K. environmental protect agency has not (yet, anyway) directed an extended warranty as the U.S. counterpart has.
    '03 Range Rover
    All Stock
    Black

FRESHMAN ROVER

Can the CC crack or faulty weld cause rpm hesitation? I didn't even think of this but the humming noise and hesitation I get at 1500-2000 could be coming from the CC.
    2003 Black Range Rover HSE

FRESHMAN ROVER

I checked under the car and noticed the passenger side cc is almost brand new and has a manufacturer date stamp is 2009. The driver side cc looks original with no date stampped, obviously the passenger side had problems before I bought it. I wonder if the drivers side is having problems now and causing the humming noise. Is there a specifc welding area that is problem?
    2003 Black Range Rover HSE

FRESHMAN ROVER

Can someone post a picture of where exactly to inspect the catalytic converter?
    2003 Range Rover HSE, 4.4L
    All Stock
    Epsom Green Micatallic