Transmission slipping!!!
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transmission slipping!!!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Transmission slipping!!!

I have a 2003 Range Rover and prior to to taking it to the dealer for the flush, fill and filter no problems with the transmission. After this service, when i take off from a toll or traffic light the vehicle jerks hard and then the vehicle drives somewhat normal. I'm also hearing a whinning noise coming from the engine department before the hard jerk.

I used all LR parts (FILTER) and the Esso oil. The service advisor did mention the tech had a hard time refilling with the fresh oil.

Any suggestions ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Transmission slipping!!!

check oil level..

could be low on oil
    RR 2002 L3222 TD6

old fun:
    RR 2000 2,5 DSE
    LR SIII 1974 88" RHD
    RR 1977 3,5 V8

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks , thats probaly the first place i need to look. You're the second person that recommended me to check. By the way i had him fill with 6 liters of the Esso.

LEGACY VENDOR

Engine speed dependent transmission noises are usually torque converter or oil pump related. Are you absolutely sure that the dealer refilled your transmission with Esso LT 71141?

Actually, now we’re on the subject, do you mind if I go off on a rant for a moment regarding the use of alternative transmission fluids in the 5HP24?

Sure, in terms of viscometrics, density, chemical compatibility, air solubility/anti-foaming, shear resistance, flash point, etc., etc., etc. other ATFs may deliver a similar spec. to Esso LT 71141 but this entirely misses the most important point.

The 5HP24 is fitted with a controlled slip converter i.e. the torque converter lock-up clutch isn’t merely switched either ‘on’ or ‘off’ but is controlled to slip at speeds of up to 50rpm (around 1kW power dissipation). This enabled ZF to dispense with the traditional LUC torsional vibration damper.

The friction characteristics of this clutch were optimised specifically around LT 71141. It is essential that the static-to-dynamic friction characteristic & the dynamic coefficient of friction increases as slip speed increases to prevent control oscillation and these friction characteristics must fit within the relatively tight band shown in the graph below.

You’ll find numerous references on the Internet along the lines of “a mate of mine overheard a bloke down the pub saying that his sister once knew a guy who’s dad worked in a transmission shop whose owner had read somewhere that Dexron-III is a suitable replacement fluid and it’s also made by Esso, just packaged in a different bottle and it’s much cheaper” etc, etc.

The fact is the 5HP24 converter clutch was developed using LT 71141. If you use any other fluid there’s a strong possibly that it doesn’t contain identical friction modifiers and you run a high risk of burning out the converter lock up clutch, harsh LUC shifts and oxidising the oil (leaving the transmission vulnerable to other problems too).

Rant over. Sorry about that, I feel much better now.

Anyway, assuming none of that applies in your case because the correct fluid has been used in your transmission, I would concur with jope that you need to check that your transmission has got enough of it and the pump isn’t intermittently sucking air.

Phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transmission slipping!!!-friction-coefficient-luc.jpg  
    2003 4.4l V8 Range Rover Vogue

FRESHMAN ROVER

I dropped off the vehicle this morning at the dealer. Based on my discussion with them they won't get to it until Monday. I had the dealer use Esso that i supplied them with. I'll wait and see what their diagnosis uncovers. I will share this information with the dealer regarding the fluid level, possible air in the system , possible debris in the valve body and a pinched O-ring.

Thanks

SOPHOMORE ROVER

the ZF 5HP24 Transmission in the 2003 RR uses the following options for oil. Esso is quite expensive from BMW, many people buy the Audi part number for less.

Esso ATF LT 71141 in acc. with ZF Order Specification ZFB 838

=>Audi Oil No. G 052 162A1
    =>BMW Oil No. 8 322 940 7807
    =>Citrogen Oil No. Z 000 169 756
    =>Jaguar Oil No. JLM 20238
    =>Mercedes Benz Oil No. A 001 989 2203
    =>Peugot Oil No. Z 000 169 756
    =>Porsche Oil No. 999 917 547 00

Also known as Petosin ATF1
    http://www.jie.com/oilref.htm

SOPHOMORE ROVER

"Hard time filling with oil" That is odd. It is the simplest part. Just use a pump and pump it into the hole at the top. I would have them double check the level. Or someone else double check it

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks for your help. The level was low. The dealer drained and refilled. The car is shifting smoother and i'm noticing a substantial difference at normal-high highway speeds.

Thanks forum members

FRESHMAN ROVER

glad to hear. keep us informed if there is some changes after you have drove for some miles..
    RR 2002 L3222 TD6

old fun:
    RR 2000 2,5 DSE
    LR SIII 1974 88" RHD
    RR 1977 3,5 V8

FRESHMAN ROVER

The ZF tranny needs to be filled at a particular operating temperature, if this is not done properly it will either be overfilled or underfilled.
    I do my own tranny services at home and use a temperature probe in the oil fill hole so the level is spot on.

Also the Esso transmission oil only needs to be used on the ZF gearboxes that have a green sticker on the transmission pan.
    Otherwise any recent synthetic transmission oil can be used.

This info comes from ZF in Australia - also the lifetime oil in the 5hp24 should be changed every 40000km according to zf here in Australia.
    I sourced a Penrite oil here that conforms exactly to the Esso standard at probably a 5th of the cost of the genuine Esso stuff.

If anyone is interested I can post a link to oil change procedure for the 5hp24

Hope this helps,,Darren

My transmission is doing the same exact thing. I had an oil change about a month ago, so I don't think it is that. I have a 2005 btw. It will be driving fine, and then all of a sudden you take your foot off the gas, and then put it back on and it goes "THUMP" and kicks into gear. I have had the car for 8.5 months, and this is recent. I definitely would have noticed it, so it is new.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.