Transmission Fail Safe Prog. , Please Help!!!!!!!!
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Fail Safe Prog. , Please Help!!!!!!!!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Transmission Fail Safe Prog. , Please Help!!!!!!!!

So today I finally get my brake pads replaced and recently my car started jerking, stuttering, hesitating and all of a sudden my car is struggling to go up a hill to get to a stop light. At one point while trying to go up a hill, I was pressing the foot acceleration and the car was reving but it wasn't going anywhere,then it started moving again and I got to a parking lot and parked my car and the message on the dash said TRANS. FAIL SAFE PROG and then I referred to the car manual and it basically said drive causiously and try not to rev. I was able to drive my car home. My car go's into other gears just fine, I will be dropping it off at my independent rover dealer on monday morning. If any body has went through this or could put some insight on this situation for me would be great, Rover community. I will never buy one off these cars again without a warranty I don't care how good the price of the car is, but I love these cars, its a love hate thing I guess! I pray this isn't to crazy of a bill I don't have a warranty. I got 88k miles ,also I just had my recall differential done about 2 months, also starting this week I have been hearing a rattle, clicking noise from under the car. Thanks!
    2003 Range Rover HSE Giverny Green

J.Millionaire

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Transmission Fail Safe Mode, Please Help!!!!!!!!

Uh-oh. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I'm in Atlanta, too. What independent do you use?
    2006 Range Rover HSE
    -Zermatt Silver with Charcoal/Jet
    -Heated Accessories Package
    -DVD Rear Seat Entertainment System
    -SIRIUS

JUNIOR ROVER

Re: Transmission Fail Safe Prog. , Please Help!!!!!!!!

I have got this message sometimes when shifting from high range to low range or vice versa. Maybe you shifted into low range without noticing ti. Try stating the car, shifting into neutral, moving the low range switch into low, wait for 19 seconds or so, maybe move the transmission into gear and back into neutral, then back into high range. Worked for me when I was on the trail miles from anywhere.

JUNIOR ROVER

Sorry bud I am an expert with these trannies failing, lol. Sounds like the first time mine was replaced. They just call it an internal failure and replace them. The second time mine did that I lost reverse and they replaced it again. Sucks about the warranty it is $4500 just for the transmission not including labor. I am on my 3rd so far. My warranty has paid for itself 3 times already with the work I have had done.
    2011 Range Rover HSE LUX

FRESHMAN ROVER

Well the Trans Fail Safe Prog message I got yesterday is no longer showing on my dash , It came up yesterday and is gone now. Also my transmission is shifting gears just fine, but still has the rattle sound under the car and a hesitation every now and then, Could I be low on transmission fluid, I dropped it off at my independent dealer tonight and took a cab home. Will pray tonight that your wrong. Any body know where I can get a transmission for a good price if this is the case and will a 2003 bmw x5 tranmission fit a 03 rover. Will update tomorrow after I hear from my guys, Pray for me!

J.Millionaire

JUNIOR ROVER

The humming sound is the exact problem mine started with in overdrive. It only got worse and worse and time went on. It is when mine got into over drive and I barely gave it gas as not to kick down into another gear but just slowly speed up it would hum and vibrate. Here was my post on it back when mine started. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18637&p=131273#p131273 I hope it isn't for you but the transmissions in these rovers aren't that great.
    2011 Range Rover HSE LUX

FRESHMAN ROVER

Ok bad, news my rover guy said he found some fault codes in the tramission but didn't notice any driving problems and suggest replacing the transmission with a rebuilt one for $4965 labor + tranny. This sucks! He also sd the transmission can go now or maybe in year but suggested that I ride it till it go's out. I currently have a oil leak and they sd I needed to replace the tranmission cooler line because it has rusted, does anybody know what that does and it is related to the transmission functing properly? that was told to me about aweek prior to mt taking it in for the tranmission issue. Is it possible that I could purchase a aftermarket warranty for my car now, without them knowing I have a transmission problem and then file a claim in like a month later?

J.Millionaire

JUNIOR ROVER

You should be able to drive it for awhile I drove mine with that annoying noise it just finally bugged me enough to go get it taken care of. But I felt I could have driven it for awhile before it just went to pieces. The only problem getting an extended warranty is that it has to pass an inspection before they will issue a warranty. They even had to do an oil change on mine even though it didn't need one before they would approve me. So unless you have an inside guy that will approve and sell you the warranty then they won't be able to issue you one without getting it fixed first. Plus I couldn't make a claim within 45 days of mine starting. I know it sucks but that is why I try and everyone heeds the warning to never own one without a warranty. I always say if you own on long enough it will be a new car, lol. Hope things work out for ya!!

Oh the transmission cooler cools the fluid so it doesn't overheat. If it has rusted through then you might have rust all in your fluid which would cause a catastrophic failure. Just make sure when they replace the transmission they flush out the lines and cooler. Otherwise the metal and trash from the failing one will still be in the lines and will cause the new one to fail.
    2011 Range Rover HSE LUX

SOPHOMORE ROVER

$5,000 for LABOR!!!???? OMG at my shop that would be just under 60 hours! Highway robbery! Three weeks ago I saw three MKIII Range Rovers get transmissions swapped out on the same lift in one day. It doesn't take long at all. Call my guy - Luis at Land Rovers Unlimited in Houston - 281.292.8022 - ask him how much to get one and swap it. You could probably have the car shipped here, have the work done, fly to Houston and drive it back and save a couple thousand bucks. I couldn't even imagine the dealer charging that for it.
    KC
    '06 Range Rover Supercharged - Java Black
    '95 County SWB - Alpine White
    '00 Holland & Holland # 52 - Tinturn Green

JUNIOR ROVER

No No he is talking 4965 for labor and the transmission.
    2011 Range Rover HSE LUX

JUNIOR ROVER

Has anyone tried rebuilding one of these or ordering the parts from ZF to rebuild one? I'm curious as to what it takes to rebuild one.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by roverboy
    No No he is talking 4965 for labor and the transmission.
    Whew...ok...not so bad...I don't know what the book says the labor time is...but I doubt it's more than 4-6 hours.
    KC
    '06 Range Rover Supercharged - Java Black
    '95 County SWB - Alpine White
    '00 Holland & Holland # 52 - Tinturn Green

FRESHMAN ROVER

I called another independent rover shop and they stated that they could install a new or used transmission for about $760.00 labor only, now I just gotta bargin shop and find a good used transmission. Anybody know where I can get a good used 2003 rover transmission from for a good price , any info would be helpful in this enconomy! THANKS, MY WIFE IS GONNA GO NUTS!

J.Millionaire

FRESHMAN ROVER

How do you know if your transmission is low on fluid, Im experiencing some hesitation, jerking and and rattle underneath car, not coming from Cat. Also go the trans cooler line leak. I would like to change out transmission fluid & filter, is this something the Land Rover Dealership would do? I spoke with my Independent rover guy and he said that the transmission fluid is there for the life of the car and doesn't need to remove the exsisting fluid because I have a 2003 HSE 88k miles on my Rover and he wouldn't recommend added new fluid to a high mileage car. Any insight to this? I have had this issue with other non foriegn car and when i added new transmission fluid things cleared, I just wanna see what are other options there are before I drop $$$$ on another transmission, hoping to dodge this bullet!

J.Millionaire

FOUNDING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by J.Millionaire
    How do you know if your transmission is low on fluid, Im experiencing some hesitation, jerking and and rattle underneath car, not coming from Cat. Also got the trans cooler line leak. I would like to change out transmission fluid & filter, is this something the Land Rover Dealership would do? I spoke with my Independent rover guy and he said that the transmission fluid is there for the life of the car and doesn't need to remove the exsisting fluid because I have a 2003 HSE 88k miles on my Rover and he wouldn't recommend added new fluid to a high mileage car. Any insight to this? I have had this issue with other non foriegn car and when i added new transmission thisng cleared, I just wanna see there are options for me before I drop $$$$ on another transmission, hoping to dodge this bullet!
    My indy shop changes trans fluid routinely at 60K miles. Based on that you are 28K miles overdue for tranny fluid change. LR may say lifetime, but the ZF transmission manual says change it, they even supply a transmission fluid change kit.
    97 4.6 SSE and 04 4.4 HSE