Help -- What are the symptoms of a bad front differential??
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help -- What are the symptoms of a bad front differential??

FRESHMAN ROVER

Help -- What are the symptoms of a bad front differential??

my wife called me today -- she's not the best at describing things with amazing detail, but what i gather from her is as follows:

she was driving the RR (either accelerating with the gas pedal depressed, or coasting, but definitely not braking) approximate 30 mph - she said the car suddenly braked -- it didnt come to a screeching halt - but slowed down to nearly a full stop without hitting the brakes -- it then made a "weird" noise - she couldnt tell where the noise came from other than underneath the car -- the noise went away and she drove the RR maybe 10 miles roundtrip without any further incident

its a 2003 RR with 54k miles --- it never had any diff problems -- but the recall was just performed about 6 weeks ago or so

any ideas?

Russell
    Java Black HSE
    OGM M3 vert

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER

Re: Help -- What are the symptoms of a bad front differential??

Thats what it sounds like. You need to have the dealer check it out. It may have just been the car down shifting to accelerate then she let up on it which would in effect slow the truck. I've noticed this in my RR on occasion.
    '10 HSE traded for LX 570
    08 LR 3

ogy
    FRESHMAN ROVER

the main symptom of a failing front diff is a clunking noise when engine goes from power to over run.the easiest way to check is to drive the car locked in second gear at 10 - 20 mph pressing the throttle then release throttle and re apply.if you hear a clunk between accelerating and decelerating there is play in the driveline. this is now a landrover recall and should be rectified by any dealer for free.They will change the parts whether they are worn or not.
    The bigger the problem, the bigger the hammer!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by ogy
    the main symptom of a failing front diff is a clunking noise when engine goes from power to over run.the easiest way to check is to drive the car locked in second gear at 10 - 20 mph pressing the throttle then release throttle and re apply.if you hear a clunk between accelerating and decelerating there is play in the driveline. this is now a landrover recall and should be rectified by any dealer for free.They will change the parts whether they are worn or not.

thanks - i already had the recall performed

here's the update and am i surprised that nobody considered this -- turns out it was more than likely one of my wife's overpriced and oversized bags that engaged the hill descent control

but, not to disappoint everyone, i had to have the RR towed in on Saturday b/c i received a "check coolant level" warning followed by the temp gauge shooting up to about 3/4 - - didnt let it get into the red -- but it came right back down in like 20 seconds -- so i figured it was a sensor
    checked the engine bay - there was white residue all over the place - dried on something
    called my SA he told me to tow it in (thank god for CPO and roadside assistance) --

a hose clamp broke leaking some fluid -- on top of that, they are changing out the water pump, pulleys and some belts

i really have a good sense of humor (probably b/c i am not paying for these repairs) but really this truck predictably fails every single month -- the good news is i figure nearly everything but the engine and tranny will have been replaced by next year

Russell
    Java Black HSE
    OGM M3 vert

FRESHMAN ROVER

You've got to be a bit careful of dealers/mechanics too.

At the last service, our mech's told us that the rear pads needed to be changed in the next 5,000 k's. I asked how hard it was, and he said simple, so I got them to supply a set of pads. I checked the pads a couple of weeks later, and didn't see any pads that were even close to needing replacing. We are now about 3,000 k's off the next service. I will be pulling the wheels off before I send it in, and see if they still insist that pads needed doing.

The box of pads have been an excellent paper weight on my desk, although a bit pricey.
    L322 Vogue, 4.4 V8, Adriatic Blue
    Navy Seats with Parchment Piping
    Navy Carpet, Cherry Wood Fascia
    August 2002 Build, RHD
    Front Diff Status - Unknown. (Update - Recall announced)

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by rocket
    You've got to be a bit careful of dealers/mechanics too.

At the last service, our mech's told us that the rear pads needed to be changed in the next 5,000 k's. I asked how hard it was, and he said simple, so I got them to supply a set of pads. I checked the pads a couple of weeks later, and didn't see any pads that were even close to needing replacing. We are now about 3,000 k's off the next service. I will be pulling the wheels off before I send it in, and see if they still insist that pads needed doing.

The box of pads have been an excellent paper weight on my desk, although a bit pricey.
    yeah i know, i will never service my rover at North Dade - i drive further to Fort Lauderdale b/c its a great shop and i trust my S/A --

Russell
    Java Black HSE
    OGM M3 vert

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by miami m3
    yeah i know, i will never service my rover at North Dade - i drive further to Fort Lauderdale b/c its a great shop and i trust my S/A --
    I wish I had the same resources that you American's have. With you blokes having ten times our population, you have 10 times the number of shops to go to etc.

Our car is out of warranty, but I'd still like to have people that know what they are doing, work on our car.

I must ring our local daler, and make sure our address is up to date, for the diff recall. If the diff gets done, it will be interesting to see if the current noise goes away. (It's like a bearing noise)
    L322 Vogue, 4.4 V8, Adriatic Blue
    Navy Seats with Parchment Piping
    Navy Carpet, Cherry Wood Fascia
    August 2002 Build, RHD
    Front Diff Status - Unknown. (Update - Recall announced)