Range Rovers Forum banner

03 RR Air Suspension Issues- The Beast is sitting low

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  D-Rover 
#1 ·
I realize this topic has extensive coverage but I can't seem to find an exact match to the issue I'm having. Here are the specifics.

'03 RR HSE 134K miles. Two months ago I had my transmission rebuilt (yeah I got to spent $3,500 on a new transmission.) and two weeks ago I shod the Beast with new tires and an alignment. Previous symptoms included the air compressor running a little longer to reach the desired height along with being noisy. I assumed it needed a rebuild and was already planning to buy one of Andy's kits. Here's where things currently stand:
  • Air Sus Inactive light appeared on Sunday. I did the standard steering wheel reset to no avail.
  • The lights on the height selector switch no longer light up.
  • Reset the system by disconnecting the battery but no change.
  • Used my ALL Comms: Two faults- "Can bus fault" and "Articulating Validity".
  • Checked the fuses and relays: all working.
  • Disconnected the compressor to test if power was getting to it- yes it was.
  • With power going to the compressor we realized that it was not firing up. We removed the compressor and used a 12v power cable to get power directly to the compressor- Nothing, flatlined, DOA, dead dead. I thought about tazing it to see if that would help but have waited until I hear from those of you who are smarter than me.
Here are my next options:
  1. I need to get air into the system so I can drive it. I'm not sure how to do that and what I have read seems pretty complicated. Currently it is below the lowest setting.
  2. Our collective wisdom is the compressor has simply died, which would prevent it from sending a signal to the height selector thus no lights. I was hoping to find a compressor motor rather than buying and entirely new system.
Any suggestions or insights would be helpful. I really need this beast back up and running.

See less See more
#4 ·
You're right ddillenger, normally it wouldn't but since one side had sunk we bled the line to even out the car. We thought we would be able to pump it up manually but I've been unable to figure that little trick out. Any suggestions would be great.

#5 ·
Update: After reading a number of posts I decided to plug in the All-Comms and check it one more time. I cleared the faults and to my surprise the system reset and began to refill with air. Turns out the problem was a leaking front left airbag. The right front was replaced in 3.5 years ago so I'll probably only replace the left one.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best brand? I'm seeing a lot of price variance for struts.

#6 ·
I'd only put Delphi's on, Dunlops don't last, and Arnotts seem expensive... Well they are this side of the pond....

#7 ·
Update: I replaced the driver air strut using an rebuilt arnott. Since I did the work myself and the Arnotts have a lifetime warranty I chose them. The job took about hour-and-half and was really easy. Story Wilson has a great video on how to replace it so I highly recommend it. The total cost was $270 and The Beast is riding as she once did. Now I'm tackling a few minor issues like valve cover gaskets, calipers, rotors, and brake pads.

One last piece of advise if you decide to replace your own air strut. I recommend doing a air suspension reset using 'All Comms'. I did a factory reset then used the simple calibration to adjust the height. I hope that helps everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.