How do u know when U need a new Catalytic Converter ?
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do u know when U need a new Catalytic Converter ?

FRESHMAN ROVER

How do u know when U need a new Catalytic Converter ?

I have a 2003 range rover hse and currently have 79,600k miles. I have been informed that by law Land Rover is required to replace this part free of charge. I contated Land Rover and they stated that this rarely occurs. I been told that there is a 8yr/80k mile warranty. Any insight on this would be helpful before I cross this 80k. How do you know when you need a new one? and if it happens outside of warrenty how much would it cost for labor and materials for worst case situation.
    2003 Range Rover HSE Giverny Green

J.Millionaire

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Re: How do u know when U need a new Catalytic Converter ?

The Cats DO GO OUT with this BMW engine. Do a search for BMW M62 engine Cats.

Cats are killed in this motor due to leaking valve cover gaskets that foul spark plugs and then dump unused fuel into the cats. The hot cats ignite the fuel and blow out the cats.

There are a couple tests. The most common is the rattle test. Hit the cat.... does it rattle.

If you have a good dealer. Take the truck to them and tell them that you hear a rattle from the exhaust. If it is going bad and you keep complaining they typically can find it

JUNIOR ROVER

A couple of comments questions on this...

Quote Originally Posted by ambishop
    The Cats DO GO OUT with this BMW engine. Do a search for BMW M62 engine Cats.
    If the cats go out with this engine, either there is a problem with the cat, or the engine has a serious problem related to the emissions control. Either way, the feds would not be too happy or tolerant of either being a design trend.

Cats are killed in this motor due to leaking valve cover gaskets that foul spark plugs and then dump unused fuel into the cats. The hot cats ignite the fuel and blow out the cats.
    A leaking valve cover gasket would not foul a plug. It would give you an oil leak, but not past the plug into the cylinder. A fouled plug would show up long (OBD) before destroying a catalytic converter, unless the vehicle is driven during a catastrophic failure that could flood the converter, like a failed ignition coil.

There are a couple tests. The most common is the rattle test. Hit the cat.... does it rattle.
    As secure as the converters are, you'd really need to whack them pretty hard to shake anything loose in there. Probably damage it more from beating it than the misfire/flooding. If the ceramic/platinum honeycomb is broken loose, you would likely hear a momentary rattle from normal operations, like when you start the engine or rev the engine.

If you have a good dealer. Take the truck to them and tell them that you hear a rattle from the exhaust. If it is going bad and you keep complaining they typically can find it
    Anything related to emissions control has a mandated warranty period that exceeds the standard warranty; check your owner's manual for details. It includes things like the EGR, catalytic converters, things that keeps the vehicle environmentally friendly. Mandated by the federal government. The converters will theoretically last forever, but with age, events and impurities, the may eventually go out. But unless you have a really bad misfire problem that you don't get fixed, or contaminated fuel, maybe a little diesel, it should easily last well beyond 80k miles. n Not that it's impossible, but... They're not cheap either, due to the platinum.
    '03 Range Rover
    All Stock
    Black

FRESHMAN ROVER

Mine was just replaced on an 04 with only 45k miles. Service engine light was on, they replaced the o2 sensor and 10 miles from dealer the engine light was on again. Took it back and they said it was the Cat Convertor.
    2004 Range Rover Lux
    Zambezi/Charcoal
    http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/543...0424fi7.th.jpg

FRESHMAN ROVER

I just had mine replaced as well.
    Only 48,000 miles on the truck.
    The only indication I got was the CEL gave off the code P1170

The dealer also replaced the 02 sensor(s), everything was covered under warranty.
    They even gave me a nice Toyota Avalon to drive while it was in the shop.
    http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...inMotion-1.jpg
    2004 Range Rover HSE
    42,000 miles when I became the caretaker.
    Extended warranty to 90,000 miles.