Oil in the spark plug 4.4 v8
NEWS
 

  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

    Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39

Thread: Oil in the spark plug 4.4 v8

  1. #1
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    May 3rd, 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    18

    Oil in the spark plug 4.4 v8

    There is Oil in the number 1 spark plug right bank and it is causing my car to stutter and smoke from the right side exhaust.
    Could this be a leaky gasket, o rings or spark plug seals?

    It seams as if the oil is there without running down the outside of the threads, it has a compression of 150psi and the one next to it is the same.

    Has anybody els had this problem? Or any ideas?

    I am going to change all the seals and gaskets this week to see if it makes a difference.
    Also, what oil should I be using?

    Cheers

    Mac

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    July 30th, 2007
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    184

    Re: Oil in the spark plug 4.4 v8

    Here is Chicago, the dealer advised me to use Castrol 5W-40 (synthetic). That was one of the choices listed in the owner's manual. I am not sure as to the cause of the leak. Good luck, and let us know how it works out for you.
    Steve

  4. #3
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    March 26th, 2008
    Posts
    15

    Re: Oil in the spark plug 4.4 v8

    if the oil is on the outside of the sparkplug i would say valve cover gasket..fairly easy repair

  5. #4
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    January 1st, 2005
    Location
    Truckee/Tahoe
    Posts
    1,902

    Re: Oil in the spark plug 4.4 v8

    If the spark plug tip is oily, you may have a head gasket (not what you want to hear) it' would be leaking under pressure (Oil pressure) and may not show when checking compression as a low reading and may not read as a leak-down. But let's hope that its the oil leaking in from the valve cover gasket causing the miss fire by grounding the plug.

    Mark.

  6. #5
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    May 3rd, 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    18

    Re: Oil in the spark plug 4.4 v8

    Surely if it was valve gaskets it would be a soaked plug?

    Is there not spark plug gaskets aswell? It does seem to be coming from inside. I had been told that the cat may be blocked and causing pressure but dont beleive that.

    It only started when the car got serviced at main dealers. Maybe they had used a thinner oil then was in and it started from there?

    I hope it is just valve gaskets etc.... Is the head gasket a massive job?

    Cheers

    Mac

  7. #6
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    January 1st, 2005
    Location
    Truckee/Tahoe
    Posts
    1,902

    Re: Oil in the spark plug 4.4 v8

    It 's a big job. I just thought of something else, it could be a bad intake valve seal...That would suck oil in on the intake stroke...The oil that your burning will in time cause the cat to go bad. Have it looked at soon.

    Mark.

  8. #7
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    July 7th, 2006
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    19

    Re: Oil in the spark plug 4.4 v8

    I just changed my valve cover gaskets not to long ago...the side with the dip stick is difficult to get off because the dipstick is so close to the valve cover / cam cover. On the X5 4.4 V8 motor, the dipstick is attached to the front of the motor (i actually went to a bimmer dealer to check it out)...which makes it much easier. There are two gaskets per side...an outer and inner. So maybe your inner (spark plug gasket) is leaking. The gaskets were less then $100. Pretty inexpensive fix...good luck. Hopefully thats the only problem
    Rizz
    2004 Range Rover HSE
    2002 Lincoln LSV8

  9. #8
    JUNIOR ROVER
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2007
    Location
    Beaverton Oregon
    Posts
    648

    Re: Oil in the spark plug 4.4 v8

    Quote Originally Posted by rizzp
    I just changed my valve cover gaskets not to long ago...the side with the dip stick is difficult to get off because the dipstick is so close to the valve cover / cam cover. On the X5 4.4 V8 motor, the dipstick is attached to the front of the motor (i actually went to a bimmer dealer to check it out)...which makes it much easier. There are two gaskets per side...an outer and inner. So maybe your inner (spark plug gasket) is leaking. The gaskets were less then $100. Pretty inexpensive fix...good luck. Hopefully thats the only problem
    Inner spark plug gasket???????????? Please step away from the motor and close the hood.

    If your tail pipe has smoke comming from it, it is not a valve cover gasket. If the valve cover gasket was leaking it would just create a mess on the engine it would not cause the pipe to smoke. Maybe your valve cover gasket is leaking and dripping onto your exhaust and it just looks like the smoke is comming from the exhaust but it's really comming from under the car.

    If your tail pipe is indeed smoking could be a few things, blown head gasket (expensive), bad rings (expensive), and bad valve seals (expensive).
    Take it to a mechanic and have it checked out.

  10. #9
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    July 7th, 2006
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    19

    Re: Oil in the spark plug 4.4 v8

    Quote Originally Posted by nsxxtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by rizzp
    I just changed my valve cover gaskets not to long ago...the side with the dip stick is difficult to get off because the dipstick is so close to the valve cover / cam cover. On the X5 4.4 V8 motor, the dipstick is attached to the front of the motor (i actually went to a bimmer dealer to check it out)...which makes it much easier. There are two gaskets per side...an outer and inner. So maybe your inner (spark plug gasket) is leaking. The gaskets were less then $100. Pretty inexpensive fix...good luck. Hopefully thats the only problem
    Inner spark plug gasket???????????? Please step away from the motor and close the hood.

    If your tail pipe has smoke comming from it, it is not a valve cover gasket. If the valve cover gasket was leaking it would just create a mess on the engine it would not cause the pipe to smoke. Maybe your valve cover gasket is leaking and dripping onto your exhaust and it just looks like the smoke is comming from the exhaust but it's really comming from under the car.

    If your tail pipe is indeed smoking could be a few things, blown head gasket (expensive), bad rings (expensive), and bad valve seals (expensive).
    Take it to a mechanic and have it checked out.
    Based on your authoritative tone, I would imagine you have done valve cover gaskets on this vehicle. I am not sure about the part names...i just know there were two gaskets per side (i am not an auto mechanic...I am a space systems engineer). There is a smaller gasket that seals around the spark plugs...certainly if that is leaking you can expect to see oil in the compartment that houses the spark plus could you not? I would imagine with your vast expertise, you can tell me what the part name is and answer my questions. Thanks!
    Rizz
    2004 Range Rover HSE
    2002 Lincoln LSV8

  11. #10
    GKP
    GKP is offline
    FRESHMAN ROVER GKP's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 5th, 2008
    Location
    Hants, UK
    Posts
    146

    Re: Oil in the spark plug 4.4 v8

    I think what nsxxetreme is implying is that it won't matter if the spark plug tops are swimming in leaked oil. Unless the oil has got into the combustion chamber it won't be coming out of the tailpipe.

    Oil can get into the combustion chamber via only a smalll number of ways:

    A failed headgasket (or head or block casting - but this is unlikely)
    A loose sparkplug (but you'd need a leak to deliver the oil to the sparkplug area)
    Failed valve stem oilseals.
    Failed piston rings (or piston).

    Or any variation/combination of the above.

    I feel as though a wallet is about to take a hammering....

  12. #11
    SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Join Date
    November 10th, 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    259

    Re: Oil in the spark plug 4.4 v8

    rizzp

    What size 'O' rings on the Solid rocket boosters do you suggest?
    2003 HSE with 2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,20011 and now 2012 Parts in it

  13. #12
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    May 3rd, 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    18

    Re: Oil in the spark plug 4.4 v8

    I have been on various BMW sites aswell and I am hoping it is the inner gasket as the outside one doesn't seem to leak.

    It just seems really strange that it only started on my way home from when I had it serviced at LR main dealers for an insp 2.

    Its going back to LR tomorro (a different dealer) as I want it inspected by another garage.

    Is there nothing the dealers could of done to cause anything like that?

    Cheers

  14. #13
    JUNIOR ROVER
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2007
    Location
    Beaverton Oregon
    Posts
    648

    Re: Oil in the spark plug 4.4 v8

    Quote Originally Posted by rizzp
    There are two gaskets per side...an outer and inner. So maybe your inner (spark plug gasket) is leaking. The gaskets were less then $100. Pretty inexpensive fix...good luck. Hopefully thats the only problem
    There is only one gasket on a spark plug. Its a crush style gasket. Your wording is what what is screwy the wording inner (spark plug gasket) sounds like you are reffering to an inner and an outer spark plug gasket. When what you are actually refering to is an inner an outer valve cover gasket.


    Quote Originally Posted by rizzp
    Based on your authoritative tone, I would imagine you have done valve cover gaskets on this vehicle. I am not sure about the part names...i just know there were two gaskets per side (i am not an auto mechanic...I am a space systems engineer). There is a smaller gasket that seals around the spark plugs...certainly if that is leaking you can expect to see oil in the compartment that houses the spark plus could you not? I would imagine with your vast expertise, you can tell me what the part name is and answer my questions. Thanks!
    Don't get your panties in a bunch there is nothing authoritive about my tone just having fun.
    I'm an Electrical engineer but still not sure how that has anything to do with the topic at hand. I would definetly take a qualified mechanics advice over my own.
    I've replaced many head gaskets,valve cover gaskets, you name it I have replaced it on a number of different engines. I have been lucky enough to not have to of done anything on my RR yet. A motor is a motor the principal operation is the same. Once they start putting rocket booster in the RR I'll be sure to look you up.

    Quote Originally Posted by L4FLIROP
    rizzp

    What size 'O' rings on the Solid rocket boosters do you suggest?
    Lol

    Quote Originally Posted by GKP
    I think what nsxxetreme is implying is that it won't matter if the spark plug tops are swimming in leaked oil. Unless the oil has got into the combustion chamber it won't be coming out of the tailpipe.

    Oil can get into the combustion chamber via only a smalll number of ways:

    A failed headgasket (or head or block casting - but this is unlikely)
    A loose sparkplug (but you'd need a leak to deliver the oil to the sparkplug area)
    Failed valve stem oilseals.
    Failed piston rings (or piston).

    Or any variation/combination of the above.

    I feel as though a wallet is about to take a hammering....
    Exactly although he may be very lucky and just have a valve cover gasket that is leaking onto the exhaust pipe and the smoke just "appears" to be comming from the exhaust.

  15. #14
    JUNIOR ROVER
    Join Date
    November 28th, 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Fl
    Posts
    987

    Re: Oil in the spark plug 4.4 v8

    Engines such as the 4.4 (and many others) that have the spark plug access surrounded by the valve cover gasket have multiple gaskets. In the case of the BMW 4.4 in my '03 RRover, there are 2 gaskets ("inner & outer") and 11 sealing rings/washers between the camshaft cover & head. NOT TO BE CONFUSED with the ignition coil cover. The outer gasket will attempt to keep oil leaking from within the camshaft cover to the outer world; all over the engine. The inner gasket & seals attempt to keep oil from leaking into the individual spark plug valley's and other internal areas that the oil doesn't belong.
    This is different from older, conventional design engines, where the spark plugs are installed outside of the conventional valve cover, and otherwise exposed to the world, not surrounded by any oil-carrying assembly.
    As far as the seal ring on the spark plug itself, Some styles of plugs still have the rings, some don't

    One idea that could explain oil on the tip of the plug after an otherwise uneventful inspection; maybe when the mech installed the plug, the tip may have inadvertantly been doused w/ oil. If so, that plug would not fire, & the cylinder would misfire causing the engine management system all kinds of heartburn.
    Did you ever get any engine failure OBD codes? You'd get at least failures reported for the oxygen sensor(s) if it was burning oil or misfiring.
    '03 Range Rover
    All Stock
    Black

  16. #15
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    May 3rd, 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    18

    Re: Oil in the spark plug 4.4 v8

    Car is at a different LR dealers today, they said that they haven't diagnosed the problem yet!

    They said they have taken the spark plugs out and there ok?????? Hope its not another case of these fools dont know what they are doing?

    When me and a mechanic took them out the number 1 plug tip was covered in oil!

    They are test driving it tomorrow to see the smoke coming out the back. They charged me £150.00 to look at the car as it has to go down as 2 hrs labour

    Will let you know what happens, worse case scenario I had priced a recon engine today and was quoted 2k fitted!!

    Hope its something cheap, this car is seriously p££££ng me off.

    Mac

Similar Threads

  1. Help!! removed spark plug and oil leaked into plug hole
    By vnt30017 in forum Range Rover Mark III / L322
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: September 19th, 2011, 11:28 AM
  2. Spark plug gaps?
    By adam1977 in forum Range Rover Classic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: February 24th, 2009, 07:44 AM
  3. Which NGK spark plug
    By Rich998a in forum Range Rover Mark II / P38
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 14th, 2007, 05:15 PM
  4. RR III Spark Plug Replacement
    By roveurboat in forum Range Rover Mark III / L322
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 13th, 2006, 12:43 AM
  5. Would this Spark plug fit a 2002 RR 4.6 HSE ??
    By sammy7 in forum Range Rover Mark II / P38
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 29th, 2006, 06:59 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2