Installing a portable sat nav into their sunglasses holder
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Installing a portable sat nav into their sunglasses holder

Installing a portable sat nav into their sunglasses holder

My RR has n't got sat nav. I have just bought a tom tom 920t and am considering seeing if I can install it in the sunglasses case in the roof. It should fit in size terms, and would roll down when needed does anyone know if there is a permanent live power supply to wire into above the rear view mirror?

Also to avoid breaking anything does anyone know how the sunglasses case etc comes apart?

Any help appreciated.
    2004 Range Rover 3.0TD6 HSE 125k miles
    1996 Range Rover 4.0SE 196k miles NOW SOLD
    1993 Range Rover Vogue 3.9i V8 159k miles NOW SOLD
    2003 Porsche 996 Turbo
    1990 Mercedes 300CE
    2012 Fiat 500 Twin Air 0.9 turbo
    2000 Renault Clio Sport

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Don't know the specifics but there will be a live 12V source in that area. it will be hooked into the Rear view mirror and the light switch. you'll just have to tap into that line and then run a ground wire. Sorry I don't know how to get apart the sunglasses holder.
    2006 Range Rover HSE
    Buckingham Blue
    CB radio (peaked and tuned)
    LPP
    V1

_S_
    FRESHMAN ROVER

I tried it once...

For me it wasn't pleasant to have the screen so close to the nose... May work for some time, but... I'd go for the suction-holder (for the windscreen) for Tom-Tom...

The sucker on the windscreens looks a mess and I will have to remove it everytime I park etc. I have experimented with where is is best postioned and by the rear view mirror seemed sensible and discreet when not in use.

I thought about using the light power but thought it maybe affected when I unlock the car, turn the lights on etc
    2004 Range Rover 3.0TD6 HSE 125k miles
    1996 Range Rover 4.0SE 196k miles NOW SOLD
    1993 Range Rover Vogue 3.9i V8 159k miles NOW SOLD
    2003 Porsche 996 Turbo
    1990 Mercedes 300CE
    2012 Fiat 500 Twin Air 0.9 turbo
    2000 Renault Clio Sport

_S_
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by rudseyrover
    The sucker on the windscreens looks a mess and I will have to remove it everytime I park etc.
    Why??? No need to do this. I don't know about your place, but in any part in Russia - it definitely worth hiding such removable items. But why remove holder? Just detach the Tom-Tom!

I have experimented with where is is best postioned and by the rear view mirror seemed sensible and discreet when not in use.
    Discreet - yes. Easy to look at and to push buttons on screen - you think for yourself. Just not for me.

I thought about using the light power but thought it maybe affected when I unlock the car, turn the lights on etc
    What may be affected? If there is power supply there while driving - I wouldn't care about anything else. But that is what I would do. Probably you need to think for yourself about not loosing your warranty, etc...

JUNIOR ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by _S_
    Quote Originally Posted by rudseyrover
    The sucker on the windscreens looks a mess and I will have to remove it everytime I park etc.
    Why??? No need to do this. I don't know about your place, but in any part in Russia - it definitely worth hiding such removable items. But why remove holder? Just detach the Tom-Tom!
    Well you need to remove the holder, cause this is the best indication for a junkie as to what to expect inside the car, its like a kinder-egg surprise, break it to see inside if you have won a price

Also when taking down the holder - ALWAYS MAKE SURE the suction rings are gone too, YES THESE JUNKS are getting smart, they must have been taking lots of smarties

I tried this, but could not get a GPS fix with the unit in the holder, as the roof screens the signals from the satellites.

Could be fixed with an external antenna.

The sunglasses holder is a pig to remove and replace, as it has a spring assembly at one side.

Although I replaced it as best as I could, it does not drop down as well as it did before I took it apart.

garioch43
    2002 L322 4.4HSE (Nickname: Chelsea)
    Adriatic Blue/Parchment with Blue Piping

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by garioch43
    I tried this, but could not get a GPS fix with the unit in the holder, as the roof screens the signals from the satellites.

Could be fixed with an external antenna.

The sunglasses holder is a pig to remove and replace, as it has a spring assembly at one side.

Although I replaced it as best as I could, it does not drop down as well as it did before I took it apart.

Just for kicks I put my GPS receiver in the sunglass holder to see if it would work, it worked just fine. Now I will attempt to find power in there to install it permanently.
    Larry
    Denver CO

2003 Giverny Green Range Rover
    1960 MGA Coupe Race car
    1967 MGB Vintage Race Car
    1969 MGB V8 Roadster (3.5 Rover engine)

FRESHMAN ROVER
    There is a live 12V wire behind the overhead reading light console. It is very easy to remove the plastic cover, pry out with your fingers. I have used this for connecting Valentine1 radar detector. This is connected to ignition switch so that the device will turn off when the car is off.
    2003 Range Rover-MarkIV DVD Nav-icelink ipod adapter-valentine Radar detector

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Installing a portable sat nav into their sunglasses holder

Doc-

I followed the thread where you described that install (here) but had no luck locating that wire. I did find a brown wire but did not get any power (switched or non-switched).

Would you mind posting a photo or two? Or perhaps someone has a diagram?

Much appreciated.

Matt
    2006 Range Rover HSE

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Installing a portable sat nav into their sunglasses holder

Push down the switch module that controls sunroof from inside of the overhead console . (Pry out the middle plastic cover and you can push the switch module out). Now you see three wires that go to the switch. One of the wires should be power wire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Installing a portable sat nav into their sunglasses holder-valentine1power.gif  
    2003 Range Rover-MarkIV DVD Nav-icelink ipod adapter-valentine Radar detector

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.