Range Rovers Forum banner

2005 range rover pops into neutral while driving down the road

12K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  Crover 
#1 ·
2005 range rover pops into neutral while driving down the road

i just purchased a 2005 range rover. I own a small car lot in ames iowa. We have sold a bunch of rovers and i get they have their issues. I just purchased a 2005 with 95k one owner in great condition... so i thought. I was driving it after i got it home and have put about 300 miles on it. All of a sudden while driving it at about 30 mph the message select neutral comes across the screen. i stop and the transfer case is trying to switch to low. The low light is flashing and wont go into either high or low. i turn it off and back on and then it goes into low. so i drive it a couple miles to the shop in low. Then i shift it from low to high a couple times everything works perfectly. Then i drive away in high and 10 min later it pops into neutral again. This time it will not find a gear. i pull the transfer case shift motor and turn the shaft by hand then all of a sudden everything works. it would be in park and still roll. in drive the front drive shaft would spin and the car would not move. i switched a transfer case shift motor off another rover we have and drove fine then got to about 30 mph and then just pops to neutral again and wont move. i pull it back to the shop then it starts moving again after being pulled. i am at a loss. i have searched and not found the same thing happening to anyone. there where no noises, no tranny slipping, no signs of any problems before this happening. i was thinking maybe a transfer case ecu? there are no codes stored. any help would be great.

thanks in advance
charles

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: 2005 range rover pops into neutral while driving down the road

I checked that and there is no fuse. When I switched tc motor io did the reset I saw you post. What I don't understand is when I drive it a couple blocks then it just seems the transfer case goes to neutral. It will not move. It will roll in park. I can pull it a couple blocks then back at the shop it will start to move again like normal. It's driving me crazy!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·

The ‘SELECT NEUTRAL’ message implies that the transfer box ECU has received a request to change range, even though you haven’t moved the switch. I would take a look at the Hi/Lo switch and its wiring next.

Phil

#10 ·

As ddillenger has already pointed out, you mention in your original post “in drive the front propshaft would spin and the car would not move”. Did you actually see it doing this from underneath the vehicle because, if so, it sounds like your L322 still has the early front differential spline tube design which has fretted away due to misalignment?

The Torsen diff. in the NV225 transfer box does not lock so that means if you lose drive at the front you lose drive at the rear too. However, this is usually accompanied by a horrendous grinding noise as the worn splines go in and out of engagement. I should forget the Hi/Lo switch for now and concentrate your efforts on the front propshaft. Can you confirm that you have the old design :

Phil

#11 ·

It has the new design driveshaft. The front driveshaft will spin and nothing moves. It displays select neutral. The wired part is if I pull it with another vehicle a couple blocks it will move under its own power for a bit. Driveshaft feels like it locks in park on the transfer case but rolls in park. While driveshaft spins transfer case makes a little noise but nothing too loud.

#13 ·

Ah, we may be getting somewhere. There was a Technical Service Bulletin issued by Land Rover "Select Neutral Message Illuminated on Instrument Pack" where the cause was the disengagement of the front driveshaft from the differential. You need to compare each side and check that there's no visible gap where the inboard joint meets the diff/sump. I'll see if can dig out the TSB because there will be some diagrams/photos of exactly what to look for.

#15 ·

I'll check that. Makes sense. I was turning the wheel back and forth and sometimes would hear a loud pop. Then it would move. So it looks like it could be a front cv shaft? Does the front end fail other then where driveshaft connects. I appreciate all the help so far. I deal like I'm gaining. Lol

Charles

#16 ·

You were right Phil!!! The cv shaft was pulled out on passenger side. It almost looks like it is too short? Here is a pic. Auto part Vehicle Synthetic rubber Wheel Metal
. I'm kind of embarrassed it was something like this. All the horrible post I've read I thought it was a major electrical or tranny problem. Thanks for everyone's help. Auto part Rim Muffler Small appliance
Auto part Tire Automotive wheel system Wheel Automotive tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.