Are the maintenance costs that bad?
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are the maintenance costs that bad?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Are the maintenance costs that bad?

Hi, i'm looking to buy a 04 RR HSE, with less than 75 000 Km on it (about 50k milles).
    I have my own business and it's paying for it but i have to say i'm pushing the set payment limit to the top. (For the payment it's an amount, so i have to respect it or pay the difference myself.)

My associates are concern about the maintenance fees and reliability issues. Everybody around me says that it will cost three or four times the maintenance fees of a "regular" vehicule.

In Montreal, a RR like a looking for goes around 40 000$ Canadian (or U.S., it's the same now !!) and for the same monthly payment i could get a Explorer or Durango, or even maybe an Infiniti FX brand new (Rental 48 months). So everybody says i should go with less luxury (less exciting) new truck instead of used "could be trouble and lots of money" Range Rover.

What do you, Range rover experts, answer to that?
    (Btw i don't know if it's clear but i really really love Range Rovers!!!)
    [/code]
    From Montreal
    02 Dodge Durango 5.9L SLT+
    84 Jeep CJ-7 with corvette 350 V8 engine and 35' tires
    Looking for RR HSE 04 or 05

2. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRovers.net
    Advertisements

JUNIOR ROVER
    There is nothing like a range rover.... It being a high maintance 2nd wife is all part of the relationship youhave with your rover. I've had exploders, expeditions, navigators, X5s, 4runners... and trust me I'd rather be in the rover... I don't think i'll owe any other SUV again....

and BTW... My rover hasn't seen the dealer in 9 weeks and I've put 5200 miles on it, since it's last visit to the dealer.. it's got 2200 miles to go before it needs an oil change.... It's going to go in next Friday to have the snow tires put on it's feet again, but thats it till the oil change.

My only complaint is that in the US they've switched over to the " winter" grade gas and I've lost 4-5 MPG. If i fill it up with Shell/Texaco 93 octane I'm LUCKY to get 8mpg on the highway with my rover. Mobile/Exxon I'm getting 14-15, Gulf 12-13.
    08 RRSSC Alaska White w/Ebony
    Manchester, NH USA

FRESHMAN ROVER
    This is the most refined and most capable vehicle I've ever owned. However, the dependability and maintenance costs are a negative.

Routine maintenance isn't too shabby. Its the large items that break that could be expensive, thus the reason I have an extended warranty covering them.

I don't think I'd take it to any remote areas without cellular service, but I'd be fine with towing and hauling on the open road or taking it to a ski lodge.

Enjoy the ride. It will be the nicest object you've ever purchased, short of your home.
    HERE: 2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate
    GONE: 2003 Range Rover HSE

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Hey Jesda !
    Is it true when you say you would not take your Rover outside of cellular service ?
    Is it normal not to trust a 100000$ vehicule ?
    Did you have major mecanical problems with yours ?
    Thanks !
    From Montreal

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by Montreal
    Hey Jesda !
    Is it true when you say you would not take your Rover outside of cellular service ?
    Is it normal not to trust a 100000$ vehicule ?
    Did you have major mecanical problems with yours ?
    Thanks !
    I've only had mine for a few thousand miles. So far, the dealer said my front diff is about to fail (90k) and my windshield wiper reservoir is gushing fluid. It holds enough to spray the headlights and windshield but not the rear window. $54 replacement part.

The diff assembly was replaced once by the previous original owner.

My ignition switch acts up.
    Sometimes my LCD won't come on.
    My horn is dead.
    My CD changer is dead.
    Funny rattling noise in the roof sometimes.

Its still an absolute joy to drive.

JUNIOR ROVER
    Mine is flawless right now.. waiting for the snow to start falling.... may need front brake pads soon but 48K on front pads on a 7K lbs suv.. i can't complain.

Rover's problems all depend on the owner, how it's taken care of. My Rover dealer told me " if you want problems baby it... if you want a almost problematic rover drive it like you stole it, hard and fast..."
    08 RRSSC Alaska White w/Ebony
    Manchester, NH USA

FRESHMAN ROVER
    For what it's worth mine is an 05 and other than the regular service visits, has needed nothing doing to it.
    Touch wood.
    2005 RR HSE
    2012 Evoque
    The latest of many...
    One day I'll come to my senses...

FRESHMAN ROVER
    :P Now i just have to find the perfect one for me!!
    I've read a lot of topics on the forum, as i can see a problem with the front diff seems to be there often.
    And i saw something that i think we don't have here in Canada (or i'm maybe just not aware of it) what's the model Vogue?

I know there is here the RR HSE, the RR sport (both available in supercharged) the LR3 LR2 and freelander. Is vogue a option package for the RR ?

Is there a specific model i should be looking for ?
    I'm going to go see this one tomorrow :
    Click Here

Anything should i look for that would not be a good sign ? (major RR problem easy to spot)
    Thanks!!
    From Montreal

FRESHMAN ROVER
    If that truly is an 04 rover, than someone gave it an 06+ body facelift because it has the bumper, indented headlights, and grille of an 06+. So just know that, id get it checked out at a dealer and have them tell you everything which was replaced...
    "Knowledge, just as the universe of which it resides, is ever-expanding...To those that say they know everything, I say they know nothing."

04 Black HSE

SOLIHULL ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by macman
    If that truly is an 04 rover, than someone gave it an 06+ body facelift because it has the bumper, indented headlights, and grille of an 06+. So just know that, id get it checked out at a dealer and have them tell you everything which was replaced...
    Yeah get the VIN and have a Canadian dealer check it out for you. There is no VIN listed on the website and even if there was I don't know if I can look up Canadian VINs on my system.

JUNIOR ROVER
    If you have the time, i would highly recomend getting one from the states and bringing it up to Canada. The price difference between canada and usa is nearly 30-40%. Also Land rover honors the warrenty even if you get one from the states that still has it left.
    2006 Range Rover SC
    2013 Audi A7
    1999 RR County(SOLD)
    2007 Infiniti M35X(SOLD)
    2005 RR HSE (SOLD)

JUNIOR ROVER
    I think you have two Land Rover dealers in Montreal. (Mine came from there, although I bought it in Toronto). If I were you I would compare with vehicles available at the dealers. You may get a better buy somewhere else, but you're going to need to be going to the dealer for servicing, so get to know them first and what they have to offer. Is Holland just the leasing arm of the dealer on Decarie??
    Price looks good. I don't know how much if any of the original warranty would be left - check the "entered into service" date. An '04 might already be running out of warranty, and you want to have one with enough of the original warranty left so you can buy an extended warranty.

Bonne chance.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Thanks everybody ! Wow this forum is super!
    I've looked into the 2004 vs 2006 picture and i think i know what happened. This dealer as also a black on black RR HSE 06 He probably did a mistake by putting the same picture (maybe not a mistake ?)

Anyway, i have a meeting not too far from there tomorrow, i'll stop to see it in person and give you my comments!
    For the dealer, i don't know them really but as i understand it, they sell and mostly re-rent high-end luxury cars and trucks.
    So you can get a 36 months rental on a 04 RR.
    I gonna look at the interest rate and the way they work tomorrow.
    I know that we have a couple of Land Rover dealers in Montreal and in Laval (Next city after bridge) So i will give them a call to see.

The discussion about U.S. vehicules is very strong right now in canada, with a canadian dollar at 1.06 US it is for sure very interesting. But i've looked on AutoTrader and there not much there. Any suggestions ?

Thanks !
    From Montreal

JUNIOR ROVER
    you only need to know one thing... E BAY
    2006 Range Rover SC
    2013 Audi A7
    1999 RR County(SOLD)
    2007 Infiniti M35X(SOLD)
    2005 RR HSE (SOLD)

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Drivingtelevision.com has video tutorials about importing US cars to save money.