Incorrect DEF Quality Error
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Incorrect DEF Quality Error

FRESHMAN ROVER

Angry Incorrect DEF Quality Error

Driving home this evening in my TD6 I got an amber warning light and the error message “No Engine Restarts in 249 miles. Incorrect Diesel Exhaust Fluid Quality Detected.” The vehicle is 18 months old with 14,000 miles. It was serviced at the dealer in January and DEF topped up – reservoir is good for another +/- 5,000 miles. Anyone experience this? The miles counted down on the error message – I am down to 136 miles, which does not leave me a lot of cushion to get to the dealer if the car really won’t start.

I searched around and saw this thread 2016.5TDV6 Issues since new
    Which seemed to be a similar but not identical issue. Presumably I already got that software update. For what it is worth, I had a check engine light three weeks ago and the sensor was bad – I need to go back to the dealer to get that swapped out anyway as the part had to be shipped across the pond.

Any help much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Premium Member

Re: Incorrect DEF Quality Error

How many miles do you get on a full tank of DEF?

If you are in need of extending your miles till you can get to the dealer it might help to put more DEF in. Not saying it would work but it could.

Aside from shelf life and improper storage practices, which is kind of hard to make DEF out of spec I have never heard of this before. And I am not talking in Land Rovers. I am talking industry wide as I have worked with customers that sell and store it.
    2011 Range Rover Sport
    1987 Land Rover 110 Cabriolet

1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #1701- Wrecked
    1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #?- Sold
    2000 AM General Hummer- Sold

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/members/8471-flyersfan76-albums-mine-picture12965-img-0174sm.jpg

I do remember this countdown coming up awhile back in the 405 or 494 sections. The person was still able to drive after the countdown hit zero. The root issue was not improper or expired fluid it was a software glitch that was rectified by a TSB for def fluid metering/dosing.

Sorry I can't be more specific. My memory is a bit vague because it's not something that has popped up very often.
    Common sense is not a gift, it is a punishment.
    Because you have to deal with everyone who doesn’t have it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

just had mine in for a def fill. Got a low def warning and figured it was just a top it off issue. Dealer said, no it is a software update issue. That may be what is happening to yours

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by flyersfan76 View Post
    How many miles do you get on a full tank of DEF?

If you are in need of extending your miles till you can get to the dealer it might help to put more DEF in. Not saying it would work but it could.

Aside from shelf life and improper storage practices, which is kind of hard to make DEF out of spec I have never heard of this before. And I am not talking in Land Rovers. I am talking industry wide as I have worked with customers that sell and store it.
    Thanks all. I had just short of 10K miles when I had it serviced in January, so I got at least that mileage out of the DEF tank (and had no low DEF warnings before then). I also got all of the software upgrades in January so I fear the prior fix may not help. I will add some DEF if I can't get to the dealer in the next few days.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.