Range Rovers Forum banner

3.0 or 5.0 for daily?

Tags
daily
23K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  DavidRRS 
#1 ·
Im going to get a 2014-2015 RRS within 60 days but I want the most reliable engine. As far as you guys know which one would be the best option? I dont care about the power. Im coming from a 2012 evoque with 90k on it that just needed a cam phaser replaced and the timing chain replaced because they said it was out of spec for being loose.

So either engine will be more power than the evoque. Just want the more reliable motor.

#2 ·
5.0 is fun but hardly worth the high end gains for daily driving. The 3.0 has the wonderful low end torque of a diesel with the mid range pick up of the turbo for ease of merging. For my driving habits I will always take the Td6 over a 5L. 26-30 MPG on road trips with effortless hill climbing puts a smile on my face every time.

#3 ·
There was no TD6 in '14 and '15, OP is thinking the V6 gas.

And to answer the question: can't go wrong with the 5.0. Might regret the 3.0. They're essentially the same engine, so neither will be more reliable than the other, on average. The 5.0s are usually better equipped, too.

#4 ·
I vote 5.0. Longer track record of reliability. I don't long for a v6 when I drive to work.

#6 ·
If you don't care about the power then get the 3.0 unless you like the cosmetic features in the SC dynamic or autobiography or need the signature stereo or certain interior colors like tan or pimento.

#8 ·
Well I do really want the 1700w stereo system, what models does that come as an option? I love the one in my evoque which I dont think is equal to the 825w system, but gotta have sunroof and a nice system in it.

I seen the 3.0 with a velocity tune can be brought up to 400hp, that should be plenty yea?

Also with the 5.0 what options come with it that dont on the 3.0?

For a '14-'15 the price diff between a 3.0 HSE and a 5.0 is about $5-6,000 more. It wont break me but is it really worth it

#7 ·
Well heck, if the OP is talking 3.0 petrol I would touch it with a barge pole. I personally have not driven one but would be leery as it would have limitations. The constant hills here in the NW would be a deal breaker. There certainly would be times when it is bound to be underpowered. Then again isn't there only a few hundred feet elevation change in the Springfield area? The 3.0 petrol might be fine for his commute.

#10 ·
I always say "why buy a 6 when an 8 is available?!", but I do enjoy the extra power, even if it isn't used 90% of the time. When it comes to the RRS specifically, my view is that the sound of the 8 on startup is worth the price of admission and dismal gas mileage alone.

#15 ·
With the new 2017 models, the Vision & Convenience package with HSE+ trims will get you the virtual instrument panel w/ full screen 3D map. Unless you got a very early 2017 - they screwed up a bunch of those orders with the V&C pack.

On the original question: I love my 5.0L V8. Daily driving it is very comfortable with more than enough power on-tap, with good-enough fuel economy (~15-17mpg city, ~20-23mpg hwy). Weekend driving put it in Dynamic mode which tightens up the suspension, steering, and quickens the throttle response - just fantastic! If I was getting a RRS for my wife though, I'd definitely get her the 3.0L TD6, as she drives far more sensibly. I didn't like the way the 3.0L TD6 shifted in the low gears - was a bit harsh, but honestly it's far better than any other 3.0L TD6 out there.

#12 ·
For 2014-15 you can only get the 1700W stereo with the V8 trims and the digital TFT screens with either the SCV8 Dynamic or ATB packages (in 2016 MY they made the 1700W stereo available in the HSE and the TFT with the HST).

There was I believe a "limited" version of the V6 in 2015 which had TFT screens but not the 1700W stereo. I think it only came in yulong white and had darkened rims and some other cosmetic bits.

#17 ·
Well that answers my question then, i cant get the TFT screen or the 1700w system with the V6. Looks like Ill get the V8 now.

How can I tell just by pics on autotrader if it has the 1700w system? Most descriptions dont say much about the vehicle so I dont want to call 20 places and ask "does it have the 1700w system"

Secondly has anyone heard both systems? Is the 1700w one above and beyond the 825w? I love my evoque system but it could use more bass

#13 ·
So you dont care about power, but already talking about a tune for the 3.0?
Just get the V8 and be done with it. A stock V8 will be more reliable than a tuned V6, and get better MPG I'd say.

Martin

#14 ·
I agree, the sound of the V8 is quite pleasing. I find myself getting on it often just to hear the exhaust. Its crazy how quick it is for an suv. We have now had three Land Rovers with the 5.0 V8 in some form. Overall, they have been fairly reliable. Our 2011 RR was towed in a few times, but for electrical/software issues all but once, which was for the timing chains. I'm fairly happy with the gas millage on our 17 RRS Autobiography. We also have a 17 Lexus LX570 that we bought a month before our latest RRS arrived. The gas millage on that thing is absolutely terrible at around 12-13 mpg. I would compare it to real world mpg common with the v6 LR4 which was in my opinion worse than the v8 LR4 before it.

#16 ·
I drive it in dynamic all the time except if it's raining hard, then I'll put it in auto. Silly I guess but I think the steering is too mushy otherwise.

#18 ·
Easy way to tell is by looking at the headliner. I believe the only RRS's with speakers on the headliner near the sun-visors are those with the 1700 watt audio system. I like the upgraded audio system, but I always have at least one of my kids with me, so the volume rarely gets turned up. I mainly ordered it because the audio system in our previous Maserati Quattroporte was so terrible, that I decided to always go with the best available.

#21 ·
The 825w Meridian system is phenomenal. I think you'd be fine with that. Tons of bass, super clear, amazing sound. I've been in loaner evoques quite a bit and am always amazed at how much better the stereo is in my RRS than the lower Meridian system in the evoque. I think if you get set on the 1700w system you wont find a lot of options. Stick with the 825w.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you're intent on the virtual instrument panel, pre-2017 they don't really do much other than have dials on a screen. With the 2017 they're actually useful. Not sure why LR waited that long, especially since they had the tech since the mid-2000s.

The 825W system is pretty decent too.

Attachments

#23 ·
The 825W stereo is really good. The 1700W is better but only incrementally so I'd say. The problem will be finding a used vehicle with the 1700W stereo as they are pretty rare.

Here's a picture online of what the 1700W roof speakers look like. There's also a set in the rear of the vehicle above the cargo space. This is really the only tip off unless you see the menu say 3D Meridian. I believe the door speaker housing looks the same across all stereos.

Vehicle Car Vehicle door Auto part Hood

#26 ·
Same here.. I got lucky and found a 2014 Range Rover Sport SC w/v8 and Meridian. They are correct look for the additional speakers in the cargo dept and headliner also it will say in in the system and allow you to select it [Meridian] for your audio sources. Only thing I don't have is the TFT but that would have come if my car had the Dynamic package. You can use a LR VIN check to see the option packages on the cars you look at...a few of them on the forum I found helpful and used. Not sure if CarFAX has this or not...the dealer I bought mine from did have the options listed pretty accurately...only one the missed was tow package which they said it had but it did not...adding that on Tue AM.

As for power..v6 maybe all you need for your daily an that's great but it always helps to have the added power of the v8 as it gives you some dynamic options as well as pleasure of driving and sound aesthetically. Also you mention OP that you're coming from an Evoque which is a much smaller vehicle where a v6 might have been adequate given your driving habits that the larger and heavier v6 RRS may not. That happened to me a ways back when I bought a v6 X5 3.5i and thought I'd be content but found it under-powered and while it was fast enough i was always on the accelerator to get it there...had to plan passing moves ahead dependent on terrain and traffic...traded it for a v8 X5 5.0i after a few months cause it just grated on me each time I drove the car! So when I looked at moving to the Range Rover Sport I remembered the adage of the that old tv commercial I saw as a kid that said "wow I should have had a v8!" and got one!

PS the Range Rover Sport Downhill Inferno Youtube/LandRover commercial also helped...was like what "stock" car is he driving! Found out it was a RRS SC v8 and was like yep...that's all I need. GL

http://www.landroverusa.com/experiences/stories/rrs-downhill-challenge.html

#27 ·
Loved that Downhill ad campaign Mdrobc13! I had the same thought lol. One other thing to consider, when I was test driving I tried out the HSE first... power wasn't bad, but it felt unrefined to me- the engine was more rough, suspension didn't feel as settled etc. When I drove the 5.0 it was like night and day. Granted those impressions are from a 5-10 minute drive, but to me the 5.0 drove like a much better vehicle. You may just need to try both out and see what you think.

#31 ·
V6 owner for two years..with not one instance where I felt like I was underpowered, even at elevation here in Denver and up to 11,000 ft. The supercharger provides nice low end toque so rarely need to rev above 4,000 rpm to get out in front. Pulls great on the hills and still average around 21 mpg. Coming from BMWs at half the weight with the same power, I was hesitant at first but honestly have zero complaints. I admit that more power is always better but it just wasn't worth the $10k upcharge for the V8 to me. Dynamic mode to stiffen the suspension would be nice but it's still fairly spirited in the corners with 21s mounted. If I feel the need to race around the streets, a 5,000lb vehicle with a high center of gravity would not be my first choice.

#32 ·
Wife has the SC3.0V6 in her 15 LR4. It's does a fine job and never lacks for power. I have the 5.0 in my 14 SC RRS.

IMO, the differences are low-end torque is fantastic, the exhaust sound is intoxicating, 30-90mph acceleration is insane and the car lumbers along at 45 or 50 barely turning 1,500 rpm. If you're an hp and torque addict then you'll appreciate every mission in the 5.0. If not, the 3.0 does an admirable job. Concur with what others said about easier to find options like adaptive cruise, 825 watt sound and TFT gauges.

#33 ·
Looks like Im gonna have to go with the V6, I can not find a well equipped V8 for less than $56-59k, where as a well equipped V6 with similiar miles can be had for Under $50k. Saving that much money allows me to buy some jet skis :razz:

TFT gauges do come in the 2014 V6 HSE as an option right?

#34 ·
TFT gauges were not an option for the V6 until 2016 with the HST and in 2017 with the HSE Dynamic. There are "HSE limited edition"s I believe in 2015 that were white only that had TFT screens and a V6 but that will be like looking for a needle in a haystack among the sea of used white V6's.

I looked at my local dealer and these are the used RRS they have for reference:
-2014 HSE V6 $43,900 with 94,000 miles
-2014 SCV8 Dynamic $64,500 with 34,000 miles (CPO)
-2014 ATB V8 $69,100 with 40,000 miles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.