Range Rovers Forum banner

Anyone hear a THUMP noise from the back at startup?

9K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  JMC08 
#1 ·
Cant figure out if its a THUMP noise or more of a speaker POP noise whenever I start the car? Anyone else hear weird stuff from the back?

#3 ·
I also hear an occasional thump but usually it's when I have half a tank of gas and just start to move in reverse. I figured it was the thump caused by gas moving in the tank which was talked about in another thread. I understand there may be a dealer fix for this but it wasn't enough of an issue for me to bother taking it in.

#4 ·
Hi all,

Just got my 2016 RRS V6 about a month ago and I also have the thump at startup. I'd say it happens about 90% of the time and is usually accompanied by some sort of air suspension adjustment. I'm guessing its the air compressor, but curious to see what the answer is!

Not to thread-jack but my front air suspension usually drops a bit when parked in my garage overnight or outside during work. It doesn't drop as low as access mode but the air suspension will have fallen a bit just about every time I drive the car after it has been sitting for more than an hour or so. Does this seem normal? I've read that the car may work to auto level but I don't think my garage/parking space is that lopsided...

OP, do you experience air suspension adjustments each time you start up? That may also explain the thumping noise we hear.

#12 ·
I hear something a little different just after startup and I start driving. It's more of a rumble rumble burble burble which sounds like it comes from the exhaust. Sounds a bit like the SVR exhaust actually - I have the Supercharge Dynamic, not the SVR. Don't hear it in normal or 'spirited' driving, just within the first 10 seconds of driving after startup.

No thump sound for me. Auto access height enabled.

Speaking of loud compressors: The air compressor in my old JGC was very loud, almost sounded like an actual tire inflater it was so loud, and way slower than the L494 too!

#14 ·
I have noticed over the past week or two an odd thump/bang sound immediately after the car turns over/starts up. One time it was relatively loud and scared me a bit! The other times it is not hardly noticeable by anyone other than me. Ill bring it up next time it goes in for service.

#15 ·
Wanted to also point out, that I have a thump that sounds like its coming from one of the rear speakers as has been mentioned by others. I forgot to add that in my post the other day. Almost like power is being turned off/on my home audio system's subwoofer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.