Range Rovers Forum banner

To Roof Rail or not to Roof Rail

Tags
rail roof
28K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  CinnamonRoll 
#1 ·
So I just ordered my first RRS. I am upgrading from a 2012 Evoque prestige. 2017 RRS HSE to be delivered late May. Finally feal as if I can comfortably afford the big guy. So here is my conundrum. When I bought the evoque I had the dealer split the cost of the roof rails with me and then I went and bought the roof bars at a later date. I have alread got the new dealer to split the cost of the rails with me for the RRS, but I am wondering if i need them. I have been looking at the aftermarket roof bars online and I see that there are multiple options that do not need the rails and instead nestle in to the roof. So what do you all think. Should I flush mount the roof bars directly in to the roof or should I go with the Rails and install the bars on the rails. I am getting a split panoramic roof so i may need height. trying to do my research early so i can keep an eye out for deals. If anyone has done either option, would love to know your setup.

Any response appreciated.

#2 ·
I went with the factory rails and installed Thule crossbars. I tend to mix up what I put on the roof rack ( cargo box, kayaks, bikes) and like the versatility. However when I bought my RRS a year and a half ago there really weren't that many options available. So this was a pretty easy decision. Seems like you should base this decision on what you plan to carry and maybe what works well with any rack accessories you already own.

#3 ·
With rails you have great flexibility to place your cross bars where ever needed or desired. With "sport bars", as they have usually been called by LR, you have only two locations and they are rarely optimal and certainly not visually appealing.

#4 ·
Sadly with the knockout redesign in roof trim you no longer have the doors to cover the mounting holes... or has LR brought those back. If they haven't you would be running around with four holes in your roof trim when the sport bars are removed.

#5 ·
... but what do they clamp onto? Many of these clamp style cross bars either mount to the roof rail mounts or have a notation hidden in the instructions that roof rails are required. Far too many members have been caught off guard when ordering cross bars/sport bars only to find out they have to knock out the rail mount holes in the roof trim or install full roof rails. I would advise caution or at least some communication with any vendor.

In the genuine LR cross bar listings there is the following notation:
[h=2]Range Rover Sport L494 Roof Cross Bars (Rails are Needed to Fit These Bars)[/h]
Here's an example of a buried warning for very similar after market cross bars:

Land Rover Range Rover Sport L494 2013-2016 Series
Note: Roof rails are required for installation

#6 ·
The flushrails from Landrover are very nice. I would trust those much more than that rhinorack system. Yes, they are expensive and yes the Thule crossbars are expensive, but I feel Ike you get what you pay for.

This is coming from someone who paid to have both the rails and the towing package added after delivery.

#8 ·
I installed the rails that are sold on eBay. Was a pretty easy install and the rails were $200 I believe. I believe the factory that manufactures for Land Rover leaked the plans and so either they or other people are manufacturing a non branded version. I've compared them side by side to the factory rails and found them to be virtually identical. I've run my car up to 100mph with a full loaded ski box and other times with a fully loaded rack with probably 200lbs of gear and had zero issues (knock on wood!). I can try to snap some photos for you if you like. I'm also happy to help walk you through the details of install since none of them include instructions. I would not buy the rails from landrover, at almost $2k I think they are priced far too high. I also think the Rhino rack clamp on system is a bit ugly on our slick cars.

This post has been deleted
#13 ·
Thanks all, this is great info. KRE62, yes, the rhino rack was one option I saw, but after seeing the video where it clamps to the frame under the door, im less interested. I do believe they also have a footing that can attach to the bars. t0pgear, I think you might be on the right track. After looking at the two options, Silver and Black available on ebay, I'm thinking Ill stick with the roof rails through the dealer and get the roof bars off ebay. Of course there was one difference I noticed in the ebay cross bars compared to my evoque OEM crossbars. in the evoque crossbars there is a rubber nub on the clamp that goes in to a hole on the inside of the evoque roof rails to keep them stationary(one spot). I am not seeing that nub on the ebay option. I suppose these will allow you to place the crossbars anywhere on the rails. On the other hand they both seem to have the same weight distribution amount of 150lbs per bar. I really only use mine for Christmas trees and a thule Cargo box. thanks all for the feedback.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have the ebay rails and crossbars and drove up to Jackson Hole over Christmas, we had 80mph+ crosswinds and a fully packed ski box, and I was doing about 75-80 at times. Wind gusts came from every direction, not sure which nub you're referring to but rails, but my crossbars and box didn't budge a millimeter. The crossbars have rubber on the bottom to keep them from moving.

#16 ·
I would be interested in the link for the eBay rails also. I was going to do that last summer but several users here said those 3rd party rails were missing some sort of finishing rail or something like that so they would not work. Nice to hear of someone that was able to find a solution. I would add the rails for sure for $200. Can't be any harder than the rear mud flaps to install.

Thanks

#17 ·
Hi all, I decided to go with the eBay cross bars for [emoji817] but when I installed them I thought they were too tight. I ended up dumping them and got the Thule aeroblades with podium and feet for the RR roof rails. Was wondering if anyone else noticed the trim bulging on the outside of the roof rail when tightening the bars to the rails?

#18 ·
Hi. New to the site and just purchased a 2016 RRS HSE with pano sliding roof. Would you let me know the supplier you used to purchase the rails and cross racks? Is it easy to remove (what appears to be) the 2 glass strips on either side of the sliding glass roof? Any input would be welcome. Thanks.

#20 ·
Hi Ed

The rails are not fitted to the glass part, the rails are fitted on the metal of the Roof in the channelling of both sides (below the long plastic-cover).
The plastic has to be cut out to Mount the Roof rails, so better to let it do the Garage.

Another Option is to find at rackoutfitters, it is a "rhino-rack" and this just clamps on the naked Roof, so you dont Need rails. It is my personal Preference, as I Need it for my Kajaks and therefore it is only mouonted a few days and 10 times a year.
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/43...242506-l494-roof-rack-without-roof-rails.html

Best
René

#21 ·
can anyone provide a pdf of the installation guide for OEM roof rails for an L494? Got the truck used with the rails off and no instructions on their installation. Thank you

#23 ·
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fe4F_F_pLI I YouTube everything these days. This is for the full size but the sport is basically the same. THe only mistake I made is not checking if my gutter covers fit fully flush after I cut them and put them back on. My suggestion is put them back on after you cut the gutter covers but before you mount the rails to make sure your gutter covers are FULLY flush and not sticking up anywhere (especially up front by the top of the windshield). Don't be intimidated, this install is super easy. By a Dremel tool with a metal cutting disc and you'll be totally fine. Most of the ebay kits are all the same. Just look for one that doesn't look too sketchy haha

#24 ·
oops, should have said cross rails. My bad

Got the roof rails on the car, assume those are standard. Need to understand how to attach the cross bars, what special tool is needed to secure them.

#26 ·
If you bought OEM they have some cryptic instructions and a Torx driver for installation. Actually pretty easy except pressing the the rubber in the grooves. Probably be easier in warmer weather. I mounted the ski carriers as well...looks a bit goofy and adds about a foot to the vehicle height but seem pretty solid.

#27 ·
Thank you. I have my torx tools, but with the center nub, they did not work. Will find the proper security torx. My other issue is the past owner only gave me three covers for the mounting brackets (the plastic covers with keys). Hoping the dealer can source me either a full set or one where we can fiddle with the lock to make it the same as the three. PITB

#31 ·
I honestly think roof rack attached to roof rails looks way more attractive and classy rather than roof rack attached directly to roof which looks cheesy and funky.
I personally bought an aftermarket roof rails for my RRS L494 for my Thule roof rack and can update on look once delivered and installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.