Range Rovers Forum banner

NJ Pine Barrens Off-Roading Wharton State Forest

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  awryexperime 
#1 ·
I’ve had my L494 for 2-1/2 years and have been very impressed with its capabilities in various weather and conditions. I had not, however, taken the opportunity to challenge it off-road…until last weekend. We took a trip through Wharton State Forest to go off-roading. This NJ park contains over 1000 acres of forest with 50+ miles of sandy roads through a variety of terrain. It is quite remote and beautiful.

We have not have much rain in the past 2 months so the ground was rather dry and we stayed in the higher elevation areas (instead of the swamps). The day was mostly sand driving, some of which was sugary fine and deep.

The RRS is completely stock with the exception of new Pirelli Scorpion Verde Tires (inflated to light load). It was so comfortable, composed and controlled. There were some steep ascents and descents as well as deep sand pits (those were the most concerning to me. The RRS handled it all with ease! At one time we were deep in the park and came across a Raptor all decked out with huge MT tires at the edge of a huge sand pit. They chuckled when they saw the RRS b/c I’m sure they thought we would either turn-back or get stuck. It was satisfying to see their faces as we sprayed plumes of sand when we plowed right through. It was great to be able to do this and then jump on the highway and shoot home at 70mph in complete comfort! All in all it was a great trip and we are already planning to go back next month. I would definitely recommend it to anyone in NY/NJ/DE/PA/MD.

Here are some photos, enjoy!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Off-roading Mud

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Range rover

Rush-hour in the wood:
Tree Natural environment Trail Nature reserve State park

All aboard:
Trail Tree Nature reserve Natural environment Forest

Trail Tree Nature reserve Natural environment Road

She's a dirty girl:
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper Minivan

Dirt road Road Asphalt Soil Trail

Trail Tree Dirt road Road Natural environment

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for posting!!! I'm always amused when I see that sporty RRS shape on those balloon tires. I wish I could fit them on my RRS SC though...sometime's I get nervous with my 20" tires going off road. Very easy to get a rock gash in the sidewall. Would've been nice if I could spec the smaller wheels. Keep us updated if you go on any more excursions!

#3 ·
I've had mine with 20" tires off-road a couple times this summer. It did just fine. No issues. If you are doing rock crawling or serious stuff then...yeah...probably not optimal. Even my father (who is a Jeep buff) said the 20s were very composed and smooth off-road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.