Range Rovers Forum banner

New to the World of RR

Tags
world
4K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  BostonRRS99 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I am about to become a new owner in the world of RR after driving 5 BMWs in the last 16 years. After deciding that I needed a truck, I test drove the RRS SC, the X5 50i and the Cayenne S. The X5 just seemed boring to me and was taken off the list pretty quickly. I really liked the Cayenne S, but I would be ordering a MY2017 vehicle and couldn't do that knowing that the MY2018 is a brand new generation and the interior is going to be cleaned up significantly, and in a very positive way. I also really liked the RRS (obviously!) -- definitely the most luxurious of the bunch, although it just does not handle corners the way the Porsche does. At the same time, I completely recognize that I don't drive like I used to (there is a reason I had to trade in an M3 for a 550i -- kids!) and the luxury side of things is more my speed these days - the interior of the RRS is amazing. Of course, the RRS SC certainly has a tonne of power and acceleration when it is needed and the angry growl of the exhaust is my favourite of all three trucks I tested.

My dealer was a no-BS kind of guy -- really liked the way he worked. I had done a little research before going into the dealership and knew that MY2017 was the LCI year and I wasn't going to buy a MY2016. Dealer confirmed that the refresh would come in 2017 although he wasn't sure exactly what would be changed. My research suggests that the biggest change will be the inclusion of the new "pro" infotainment system that is found in the F-Pace -- and that is definitely well worth the wait for me as, in my view, the infotainment in the RRS leaves something to be desired. I was told that the ordering would probably start around September and I could expect a car in January of February.

Ordering is where I am looking for thoughts and opinions from members who are better versed in RR than me. As I do not have 2017 packages, etc, my order is based off the 2016 ordering guide -- below is what I am ordering, but I would love to hear from members as to whether they think I am including something that is not necessary or otherwise not including something that is a mistake to not include:

Range Rover Sport Supercharged Dynamic
Corris grey exterior
Extended tan interior (still available in Canada)
Dark grey oak interior trim
Ebony morzine headlining
Exterior look package (painted lower body panels)
Luxury package (climate front and rear seats, fridge, 4-zone climate, mood lighting, 16-way seats, adaptive xenons)
Convenience package (surround camera, park assist, soft close doors)
Drive tech package (lane departure warning, traffic sign recognition, blind spot monitoring, heads up display)
825w Meridian stereo
Incontrol protect
Incontrol connect
Full sized spare

Happy to get your thoughts on this order and also on anything I should be aware of about the RRS now that I am making the jump from the Germans to the British!

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#3 ·
You mention the full size spare but not the tow package. I would suggest getting the tow package. Comes with a full size spare and it's much easier to have a receiver hitch installed now rather than wish you had it later. Another thing to consider is the heavy duty package. It adds the two speed transfer case. Might never need it but if you are daring enough to someday take your rig off the pavement it will be nice to have.

There is an existing thread where people argue the merits of various options. As I recall one of the bigger debates was on adaptive cruise control. Some people really liked it. I personally rarely use cruise control so didn't see the point.

#4 ·
Thanks for your response. I thought about the ATB, but in order to get the options that are important to me, there was still a price difference of approximately Cdn$6500 to move into the ATB. However, the biggest problem with the ATB, for me, are the two-tone front seats which I really do not like (centre in tan; sides, bolsters and headrest in black). What does the ATB offer that I wouldn't get in the dynamic ... I haven't quite figured that out.

As for the exterior look package -- not sure if that was Canadian. It isn't something listed as being available on the website, but there was a box that could be ticked on the order form to get the panels painted in body colour.

#5 ·
I have the adaptive cruise control in my current 550xiM and have only used it about 3 times so I decided against it as it is a $1500 option here. I don't think I will ever have anything to tow so I don't think I need that. I also imagine the only off roading this car will see is when the wife drives over a curb. That said, there doesn't appear to be any heavy duty package available in Canada. The full size spare is essentially a $400 insurance policy for when the wife ruins a wheel/tire! I will do a search to see the debate on options -- that will likely be very helpful.

#12 ·
I have the adaptive cruise control in my current 550xiM and have only used it about 3 times so I decided against it as it is a $1500 option here.
Adaptive cruise also adds what they call intelligent emergency breaking and forward alerting. both are very useful and potentially life saver features. Just food for thought.

#7 ·
A tow hook is a very handy thing to have on these cars. I have had one with and one without and I certainly missed it when I didn't have the hook. It will come into it's own when a friend ask you to help pull them out of a snowdrift or equivalent. Far easier to throw a rope on a hook than climb underneath to find a suitable anchorage point.
Is the Drive Tech Package really neccesary?? The money saved would pay for the hook option?

#11 ·
It's also convenient for hitch mount bike racks, recovery points, etc. Plus, you never know what the future holds. You may end up with a boat, catamaran, atvs, so why limit yourself now?

#8 ·
The SC already comes with the two speed transfer case as standard.

Non-US markets get the option of extended leather and painted rocker panels to be like an ATB which we do not unfortunately.

ATB offers different leather pattern and 21" rims compared to SC. In the US you can get ATB with solid colors in the interior. I'm surprised the jump is that much as some of the options you mentioned are standard in ATB trim like the stereo and soft close doors, etc.

I compared the same cars as you before getting the RRS with the addition of the Macan. Agree with your assessment. If the Cayenne had been a new model the decision would have been harder I'll admit.

#9 ·
It is always very interesting to see how the exact same car is treated in different markets -- the same thing was true of BMW. I remember all sorts of complaining from Americans on the BMW forums that they couldn't get 4-zone climate control in their 5ers, whereas it was a standard feature in Canada. At the same time, soft close doors aren't available in Canada and are standard in the US. Not sure how those decisions are made, but they are.

Up here, the SCV8 comes standard with the 21" wheels and the ATB is not available with solid colour seats -- the two tone are what you get. I presume that the price differential is what it is because the packages are just put together differently in the different countries so some things that may come standard on a US-based ATB are different that what would be standard fare here. Are there other differences that might make spending the extra $6500 worth it (recognizing that the standard features may not be the same and this may be an impossible question for someone the US to answer!)? I am not one to care about badges on a car (the rear decklid of all my BMWs is always wiped clean on day 1).

I really like the Macan -- my initial thought when I realized that I needed a truck was to get the Macan Turbo. My neighbour two doors down has the Macan S and after spending 30 seconds inside, I realized that it was not a step up in terms of space, it was actually smaller than my 5 and I need more space with a 2.5 year old and a new one coming next week. If I could have held off until 2018 it would have been a much more difficult decision between the RRS and the Cayenne, but I am glad that the decision was made easier for me as I am pretty excited about the RR.

#10 ·
Make sure you opt for Incontrol Touch Pro, not in control touch. Pro comes with a bigger screen, and has more features.

#13 ·
Congrats! Welcome to the club.

I really wouldn't fret the Infotainment system in these vehicles. It's not as bad as some people make them out to be. To be honest, 99% of the time I use my iPhone with Waze or Google Maps for navigation. It's just better hands down. The 825W sound system in mine is pretty **** good. I don't think this is the area where I would be too concerned. That's just my opinion.

1) Make sure you get a full-sized spare
2) Consider the extended warranty
3) Invest in a set of 20" OEM wheels for snow tires - the OEM Goodyear or Michelin rubber is NOT snow or ice friendly - trust me

#15 ·
I really wouldn't fret the Infotainment system in these vehicles. It's not as bad as some people make them out to be. To be honest, 99% of the time I use my iPhone with Waze or Google Maps for navigation. It's just better hands down. The 825W sound system in mine is pretty **** good. I don't think this is the area where I would be too concerned. That's just my opinion.
1) Make sure you get a full-sized spare
2) Consider the extended warranty
3) Invest in a set of 20" OEM wheels for snow tires - the OEM Goodyear or Michelin rubber is NOT snow or ice friendly - trust me[/QUOTE]
Do you know how long you have to purchase the extended warranty? With some manufacturers, they allow you to buy it at any time before the expiry of the original warranty periods; others require it to be purchased at the time of delivery.
Re Michelin tires not being good in the winter -- are you talking about all season Michelins (is that what the RRS V8 ships with?) or winter-rated Michelins? I have been using various forms of the Michelin Alpine Pilot Sport in the winter on all of my BMWs and have been extremely happy with the grip and performance that they have offered. There is no question that I will not be relying on all season tires for the winter -- I will be getting snow tires put on, although perhaps I no longer need to put performance snows on. 20" seems really big for the winter -- is it possible to go smaller (I will not be using OEM wheels on the snow tires -- will use a third party wheel -- did you mean tires?).

#16 ·
You can get the Extended Warranty up to the expiration of the standard four factory warranty - but it's cheaper if you get it at the time of purchase. It goes up about $1000 in price after initial vehicle purchase if you pass on it.

Yes, the factory OEM all-season tires are not that great in snow or ice. Some people do it, but I wouldn't press my luck. You are better off buying a set of OEM wheels from eBay and putting on a dedicated set of winter tires. There's plenty of good brands out there. Many here run Nokians.

#17 ·
Personally I prefer the Nokian "all weather" SUV tires - we have them on the ML350 and they are fantastic. I checked with my local Nokian dealer to see if they made them for 20"-22" (I am waiting on the 2017 model and wanted to see if I could get them, in any size - for when the time comes) and sadly they do not.

#18 ·
Maybe the Nokians are not in the exact OEM size, but keep in mind many owners are running 275-55-20 sizes for a hair greater ground clearance and much larger selection of tire styles for this size, and the WGR3-suv tires do come in this size (at least here in Canada). Their slightly larger diameter is a benefit for winter use.

And for the OP Snarry, to clarify Nadurra's good advice, he was referring to the awful winter performance of the Michelin all seasons; not an issue if you are used to true winters. And note that 20 inch is not too big - on the RR the wheel dia is bigger than the BMW so sidewall is higher for the same wheel size - look at shots of a RRS with 20s to see. In any case if you get a supercharged 20 is as small as possible due to brake size, and while 21s are pretty, many owners have found that tire options are slim in this size, compared to 20.

#19 ·
Thanks NM.

The WRG's are, by far, the best All Season/All Weather tire on the market. For those who have not used them, do so! No need for snow tires when you run them. Have made it through many snow storms here in the northeast while other vehicles with snow/all season tires were stuck. Additionally wet traction is outstanding and while you "might" lose a little dry performance (not noticeable to 99.9% of drivers), the wet/snow performance will just blow you away. Lastly, have had 3 sets of these (2 on a ML350, 1 on a MDX) over the years and averaged 55k miles - expensive but worth it.

Happy travels!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.