Range Rovers Forum banner

Light squeal from the front brakes

53K views 72 replies 30 participants last post by  Mr Mackey MKay 
#1 ·
From delivery of my 2016 RRS HSE, I've had a very light squeal from my front brakes at low speeds with light brake application. I thought it would go away after the break-in period, but 2,000 miles later it was still squealing, so I took it into the dealer.

It turns out I had a piece of brake pad missing in one area and something embedded in the brake pad in a different area. They replaced both front pads and checked the rotors for damage (there was none) and now I'm squeal free.

Given that it did this from the very start, I think this might be a potential defect with the front pads, so if you have squealing issues it might be something similar.

#2 ·
I had the same problem with my 2016 RR supercharged. I noticed that squeaking noise at low speed. The truck was 1 week old... I brought it to the dealer who told me that they received a notice from landrover regarding this issue and they replaced the front brakes. That fixed the problem.

#3 ·
I had similar issue with squeaking brakes. The dealer ended up replacing all my rotors and pads along with caliper brackets. So i got new brake job at 4500 miles now currently 9600 miles and no squeaking what so ever.

#5 ·
Just past 10,000 miles here. Mine started squeaking a lot on partial brake application, but I just ignore it. They work and stop it just fine, so am not bothered that much. Wish it didn't squeak so bad but that's a minor gripe.

#6 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum, but not to LR’s.

On 06/09/16, I took delivery of my 16’ RRS HST in Santorini Black. The dealer delivered the RRS to my house, as he pulled into the driveway I immediately heard a high pitched squeal from the driver’s side front brake. I pointed this out, he stated the breaks require a “break-in” period. Within 3-4 days, the high pitched squeal got progressively worse. A week later, I brought it in for service. The Service Advisor stated this is a known issue with the composite material that the manufacture used. The front brakes were replaced and pistons cleaned, invoice states “Per LTB00857NAS2.”

Got my RRS back the same day and the high pitched squeal gradually returned, this time to both front brakes. Dropped it off yesterday morning, Service Advisor called late afternoon and stated they need to keep the car until Monday at a minimum as they have no idea what is wrong and need more time. I could understanding high pitched squeal while breaking, but, while the car is in motion???

#9 ·
Update ... It's now been exactly one week since I've dropped off my RRS HST for service (Only 650 miles /:(). The Service Advisor called the other day stating the Service Manager and Service Technician took my car on a road test to replicate the sound and recorded it for LR Corporate Office. After the road test, the Service Manager has requested High Performance Brakes (made in Italy) through LR Corporate Office, which has now been approved. Now they are waiting for the parts to be delivered.

Sounds a little odd ... Thoughts?

#61 ·
Hi David, my name is Chris. I have been researching brake squeal issues on RR’s as I am having some and came across your post. Figured I’d reach out to see if you can help me out here. I had a 2019 RRS Supercharged and had no issues with the first set, after 35,000 they put new pads and rotors on and I had the worst squeal issues. I just got a 2020 RR SVAutobiography and at 7,000 miles it’s starting to have the same terrible squeal. I don’t understand how these $200k+ vehicles have such a simple issue. I’ve never had such a frustrating problem.

Did yours ever get fixed completely? Have you had the same problem with your 2020 RR SVR?

Thanks for your help.

#10 ·
"High performance brakes" for the RRS = Brembos which you already have on the HST.

I took mine in two weeks ago for this issue and brake pads were changed. Still squeaking and went back this week and they couldn't find anything wrong. I had it recorded on a dash cam so they heard it. They kept it overnight and put lubrication on both sets. However it's still squeaking. I'll let it be as its not worth keeping my car there any longer and the brakes work which is the important thing!

#13 ·
I finally got my truck back, so far so good! The service invoice was unavailable upon pick-up, but, I am curious to see what version of break pads were used. On problem fixed, two new ones!! :oops:

Rear passenger door scratched and both front rims have scratches within the lug nut sockets. Now they have to fix these next week. FML. Incredible, such idiots. :oops::oops:

#15 ·
New 2016 Supercharged bought in FL in May 2016. Brakes squeal. FL dealer said must be salt from being on the boat coming from overseas. OK, so I drive the RR to Mich for the summer. Now at 3500 miles breaks still squealing. And I got on them pretty heavy on the trip. Called a Michigan dealer and his response was "not much we can do about that". So, that's it? I just live with the noise. Unbelievable. Also bought a new 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee last December. Wow, dollar for dollar, this blows the RR out of the water.

#16 ·
Well Bill, instead of posting multiple times across multiple sections just do what has already been posted numerous times. Call LRNA, file a complaint, get a case number and force the issue of having pads replaced under the service bulletin WITH the new generation of pads. Obviously the Floridiot was clueless and the folks in Michigan aren't far behind. Service bulletin numbers and full info are in existing threads to get this taken care of.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm on my second range rover sport, a 2011 HSE and my current 2016 Dynamic. I had a BMW in between and missed the RR the day I drove the bummer off the dealer's lot. I've learned to live with the squeaks as being a character or personality of a RR. These squeaks do not hinder performance and no matter what you do with the service centers, it never gets corrected. Mine started on the third day of ownership. I've probably got another 1/2 dozen qualms about range rovers, the biggest being how unresponsive the entire audio, parking sensors, just electronics in general are, but I buy them again because its just the character of a RR and you can't beat the incredibly solid feel of driving one.

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Have a 2016 ATB and had squeaks. Brought it in and had pads replaced under warranty. Get an occasional squeak now but 99% resolved. That said I do have to disagree with you a little Subtim. Its an $80-$100 K car. Squeaky breaks should not be part of the "character". Its a flaw. Embarrasing driving around downtown Chicago in this beautiful car and my breaks squeaking like a junker. I am glad they are fixed and hopefully it will stay fixed, but in no way would I have been able to let it go as "character". If your test drive car had those same squeaks I doubt most people would have bought the car at those prices.

#19 ·
i'm not sure how long you've had your pads replaced, but they are likely to return. my two RR and rover that my friends own all have this issue off and on. unfortunately more on than off. If you did have the squeaks disappear, I'd love to know what your dealer did. btw, my test drive car did have the light squeaks.

#20 ·
Have had my new pads for about 3 months now so hoping all stays quiet. When initially brought car in dealer said they had an LR notice issued that squeaks were occuring due to small particles in the wheel base (he gave a more technical answer). Said they tried to clean it out to be safe but didn't really notice anything, and replaced pads due to the notice. For what it is worth the service manager was completely on board that this was not acceptable. I did stop by another dealer on the way back from a meeting prior to that and the service guy gave me the talk about these are heave and fast cars and it is expected. I left immediately after hearing that nonsense. Sent LR a note to customer service and they called back and said that should not be the case. I have had 2 RR's and other higher end SUV's prior to this and never never had squeak issues so hoping it is fixed. Like I said I do get an occaisional squeak but it has gone away quickly so fingers crossed. I guess I would have been a little concerned if my tester was squeaking for a car at this price point.

#21 ·
For those whose squeaking has resolved, did the dealer only change the front pads or did they change anything else like the rotors?

#25 ·
Update: took it in again to address the light squeal. SA told me there is a TSB out for this and that LR is switching the brake pad to one that is manufactured differently. The SA said that the OEM believes the squealing has to do with how the original pads were stamped.

He said the new brake pads will be available on 8/1 and that I should wait until then to bring it in and have them swapped out.

#26 ·
My brakes recently started squealing during light application at low speeds. I have a 2015 SVR with 8450 miles (mostly highway). I was able to completely stop the squeal (it is now inaudible) without pad replacement, shims or anti-squeal dressing. I simply put the car in dynamic mode and pretended the road was a race track. Several hard brake applications (I mean hard) *potentially* from triple digits speeds and the problem is solved. This may sound reckless - the moral of the story here is the brakes want to be used and hard sometimes. In fact the entire vehicle wants to perform and seems to perform better when driving normally after using dynamic mode in this manner. Doing this I have experienced no mechanical issues, no brake judder, no steering wheel shimmy, etc. My brakes are still excellent in the LR multi inspection there was 8/32 of pad remaining front and rear.

#27 ·
Mine has the Brembo brakes and they squeal occasionally. Cure is usually to run them hard to heat them up. That seems to do the trick for me but it does come back eventually. I have had a number of vehicles with Brembos or other high performance brakes and they all squeal to a certain degree. Yes, it is kind of embarrassing to pull up to a stoplight with the brakes squealing but if you leave with the tires sqealing it kind of cancels it out:).
The positive side is the Brembos usually stand up to a lot of abuse unlike most OEM brakes.

#28 ·
My 2016 RRS HST started squeaking brakes at 3000 miles, not only upon application of the brakes but simply just driving down the road at slow speeds. After close to a month of being in the shop at the dealership doing every fix that was in their system, apparently now Brembo has developed a "cure" and the system is being replaced. Apparently they are not going to be fully available for a few months, but my dealer told me that they had to go through an application process to get approved to get a set of their very limited supply.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.