LWB with 22s or 21s - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: LWB with 22s or 21s

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: LWB with 22s or 21s

Just wanted to update my finding on my rough and noisy ride with my 22' rims. I had purchased my 22' rim on eBay. I was nervous about the purchase but upon receiving them I had the dealer verify that it was OEM rims. When my RR arrived I had the dealer swap out my stock 21' rim for the new 22' rim. I took it home and found that the ride was rough and little noisy. Today I brought it back to the dealer to inspect and it turn out that the rim lucky is OEM but the tire that I had on them weren't. Ebay's seller put on some cheaper tires call the Nitto Extreme. Stupid me didn't check tire before buying the rims. I ask to test drive a RR with 22' rim on the dealership lot and boy there was a big different! The ride was a lot smoother with the Continental tires. Now I have to purchase the Stock tires which are Continetal CrossContact for $400 a piece. Lesson here is when something seem too good to be true most likely it is. At 40 I'm still trying to learn this lesson. lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FORUM MODERATOR leftlanetruckin's Avatar

Nitto's are excellent tires, we run them exclusively on our Rovers. From the P38's, the DII to the MkIII. They ride and perform fantastic on them.
    Hopefully you dont go wasting another load of money on the OEM brand tires.

Martin
    '98 P38 HSE, with 385hp/385ft lbs of LSx under the hood. Fully functional HVAC, EAS, etc.
    '03 L322 HSE
    '04 DiscoII - wheeling rig
    '02 P38, '79 924 for the kids.
    Custom fabrication, engine rebuilds and knowledge that comes from experience and not Google, always available for a reasonable cost.
    Reliable BECM repairs, and EAS Parts....www.becmdoctor.com

FRESHMAN ROVER

[QUOTE=leftlanetruckin;1848250]Nitto's are excellent tires, we run them exclusively on our Rovers. From the P38's, the DII to the MkIII. They ride and perform fantastic on them.

If you believe that my ride is rough isn't do to my Nitto tires, then do you have any suggestion for the ride being rough? I know this rough ride is not normal. The dealership drove it and agree that this is not normal. They had assured me that the rims are OEM. I even ask to test drive a RR with the same rim with the Continental tire and the ride is way smoother. Any suggestion would help.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

[QUOTE=apolloqa17;1848618]
    Quote Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
    Nitto's are excellent tires, we run them exclusively on our Rovers. From the P38's, the DII to the MkIII. They ride and perform fantastic on them.

If you believe that my ride is rough isn't do to my Nitto tires, then do you have any suggestion for the ride being rough? I know this rough ride is not normal. The dealership drove it and agree that this is not normal. They had assured me that the rims are OEM. I even ask to test drive a RR with the same rim with the Continental tire and the ride is way smoother. Any suggestion would help.
    What is the side wall size on both tires ?

I have seen a lot of RR with say 285/35/22 so a 35 size side wall, but I would not go that small.

I just changed from 255/55/19 to 285/40/22 on my L322, Im picky and I really can't tell much difference. I think Land Rover recently changed the 22 tire size from a 35 side wall to a 40. Just like most things in life there are many factors at play here, like.....

- Tire Quality - Lots to read on this
    - Tire size - As talked about above size matters
    - Tire air pressure - Lowering it from say 45lbs to 40lbs or even 38lbs can make a big difference in noise and ride
    - Tire and Wheel weight - My stock set up was 77lbs, now I'm at 73lbs, lower rotational mass has lots of benefits

Make sure you are not compairing apple to oranges as they say.

I your case I would start off by checking the tire side wall size and your air pressure, Nitto Extremes are know to be noisy and ride ruff with higher air pressure.
    2006 Range Rover HSE - Zermatt Silver / Navy/Sand
    2011 Jaguar XJ - Polaris White / London Tan/Navy

FRESHMAN ROVER

[QUOTE=karlc;1848970]
    Quote Originally Posted by apolloqa17 View Post

What is the side wall size on both tires ?

I have seen a lot of RR with say 285/35/22 so a 35 size side wall, but I would not go that small.

I just changed from 255/55/19 to 285/40/22 on my L322, Im picky and I really can't tell much difference. I think Land Rover recently changed the 22 tire size from a 35 side wall to a 40. Just like most things in life there are many factors at play here, like.....

- Tire Quality - Lots to read on this
    - Tire size - As talked about above size matters
    - Tire air pressure - Lowering it from say 45lbs to 40lbs or even 38lbs can make a big difference in noise and ride
    - Tire and Wheel weight - My stock set up was 77lbs, now I'm at 73lbs, lower rotational mass has lots of benefits

Make sure you are not compairing apple to oranges as they say.

I your case I would start off by checking the tire side wall size and your air pressure, Nitto Extremes are know to be noisy and ride ruff with higher air pressure.
    Thank you Karl for your respond. The Nitto tires I have on there are 275/40R22 and the OEM Continental Tires that are suggested is the same. The pressure I currently have on the Nitto are 37 Psi for the front and 45 psi for the rear tire. I had ask the service guy if that was normal for the front and real tires to be different and he said that that was what RR suggested the tire PSI be. Should I ask them to lower the Psi? I am in kinda of a dilemma. I don't mind spending the money to get the Continental tires but service guy can't say for sure if it will improver my ride. If getting different tire won't improve my ride than what is wrong with the car? I know some may say that the ride is normal if you want bigger rim. Again, I had test drove a car on the lot with same rim with the Continental Tires and for sure there's a big different.

acr
    FRESHMAN ROVER

Asked my dealer about this. He explained that LR tests a lot of tyres for their different types of wheels. As a result, the different wheels come with different tyres form a variety of manufacturers. While for example a certain Conti tyre may be best for the 22s, a lets say Michelin may be the best choice for the 21 or a Pirelli for the 20s. He recommended always to use the factory-recommended tyres to get a good ride. In agreement what others have noted the difference in noise and ride with 22s compared to 21s is rather small. So far, I only could test-drive a TD6 with 20s and winter tyres. There was almost no tyre noise an ride is great. I preordered a SC 2018 MY for November delivery. Living in Germany, the 22s might make sense because of the higher top speed allowed, but I hope not to py for this with a noisy ride, which was reported in earlier threads form 2013 and 2014 cars. Any experience from users with 2017 My cars on the "tyre noise issue" with the 22s wheels?

FRESHMAN ROVER

I just traded in my LWB that had 22's on it for most of its life. I pulled those off and put the original 21's back on just prior to trading in and drove it a week or two. The noise difference is noticeable but not overwhelming. Mostly depends on what kind of road you are riding on. If the road is grooved the noise will be terrible, basic "black top" asphalt or concrete isn't bad.
    2017 Range Rover TD6
    2016 BMW 750i
    2014 BMW M6 Conv.

Quote Originally Posted by XXXAngelXXX View Post
    I have TWO sets of 22 inch wheels - one for summer and one for winter - they look so much better

winter
    Attachment 210946

summer
    Attachment 210954
    Nice SV auto!
    http://forums.evolutionm.net/members/596-sblvro.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/doctorownedcarscom/217367714961131

011 RRS hse lux (traded),2013 RRS hse lux +silver, vision package(current),2009 escalade hybrid(traded) for 2015i escalade platinum,2014 glk 350 4matic(current)

FORUM MODERATOR leftlanetruckin's Avatar

Noise and ride "feeling" are subjective to the person.
    Some may say it rides great, after getting out of a 1 ton truck. Others will say it rides like junk after getting out of a luxury 2wd car. The Rover is a heavy 4wheel drive vehicle at the end of the day.
    If you test drove one that had the same specs and wheels, just different tires, then that points to a tire issue. Like I said though, I run Nitto's exclusively and have never had a single issue... Besides the cost going up!
    You can play with tire pressures, as it certainly makes a big difference.
    If you dont mind spending the coin, I guess try the OEM tires and see what happens. I'd be keeping the BNitto's though if they are still good.....
    Martin
    '98 P38 HSE, with 385hp/385ft lbs of LSx under the hood. Fully functional HVAC, EAS, etc.
    '03 L322 HSE
    '04 DiscoII - wheeling rig
    '02 P38, '79 924 for the kids.
    Custom fabrication, engine rebuilds and knowledge that comes from experience and not Google, always available for a reasonable cost.
    Reliable BECM repairs, and EAS Parts....www.becmdoctor.com

acr
    FRESHMAN ROVER

FFRs have all seaons tyres as standard. Now I see that some of you folks run the car with summer / winter tyres. Might the all season tyres behave noiser than summer tyres which might explain the different noise perceptions?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
    Noise and ride "feeling" are subjective to the person.
    Some may say it rides great, after getting out of a 1 ton truck. Others will say it rides like junk after getting out of a luxury 2wd car. The Rover is a heavy 4wheel drive vehicle at the end of the day.
    If you test drove one that had the same specs and wheels, just different tires, then that points to a tire issue. Like I said though, I run Nitto's exclusively and have never had a single issue... Besides the cost going up!
    You can play with tire pressures, as it certainly makes a big difference.
    If you dont mind spending the coin, I guess try the OEM tires and see what happens. I'd be keeping the BNitto's though if they are still good.....
    Martin
    Agreed, I made a big difference by lowering air pressure in the tires.
    2017 Range Rover TD6
    2016 BMW 750i
    2014 BMW M6 Conv.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rogerroger60 View Post
    Anyone with LWB with 22s feel it's good or if had the opportunity again to put 21s they would do it. Thanks.
    22" for three out of four seasons. 21" for winter. The 22" look proportional to the vehicle size and if you're never going offroad it will not change the functionality of the vehicle. The vehicle is pretty well insulated to begin with so there NVH some may experience in other vehicles with 22" may be negligible difference on this vehicle when going from 21" to 22".

FRESHMAN ROVER

I replaced my tires with the continental cross contact foam and I love the ride now!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.