2017 RRS TD6 or the new 2017 Discovery 5 TD6?
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2017 RRS TD6 or the new 2017 Discovery 5 TD6?

FRESHMAN ROVER

2017 RRS TD6 or the new 2017 Discovery 5 TD6?

Comparing the new 2017 RRS and the new 2017 Discovery 5 they "seem" similar.

2017 Disco HSE TD6 starts at $58k and the 2017 RSS SE TD6 starts at $67k here in the United States.

Yes the RSS is slightly more expensive but is is also more nicely optioned I believe. I heard the new Disco is based off the RR chassis and even has the same TD6 engine. It seems like the best value for the money. Being "new" to LR, I am trying to research as much as I can about both models. Info on the Disco is scarce as it is still several months away from shipping production units, most are probably customer orders so seeing one on the sales lot may not happen for a long time.

Getting the TD6 is an absolute, I am especially looking at 2 speed transfer case and Terrain Response 2, both optional on the Disco. I currently drive a 2016 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. It went off-road the week I took delivery of it. Same will happen with a LR. I am looking to "upgrade" comfort at the loss of some "ability". That's ok with me.

This is a pretty nice forum you all have here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: 2017 RRS TD6 or the new 2017 Discovery 5 TD6?

If I had to choose between both I would go with discovery. Its a bit more better 7 seater. But it will also have better resale value than sports I think. But with sports there are more engine choices but you are only interested in TD6.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Yes, I am only after TD6 for the fuel economy. I probably will not get the 7 seat option, I don't need it unless they give it to me. That is unlikely.

FRESHMAN ROVER

The other thing to consider is the Disco will be available with an activity key. It's like a fit bit sized bracelet that is shock and waterproof so you can leave your keys in the car, lock it up securely, and then go enjoy your outdoor pursuits. I think the Disco will be a bit more practical and looks to have slightly better off-road geometry.
    "Guinnevere" 91 RR
    2008 Land Rover LR2 SE

If your concerned with fuel why not get a Toyota?
    2013 RRS HSE LUX Santorini black
    QuickSilver Exhaust
    20" Redbourne Nottinghams

I am a professional so please use caution, I may have enjoyed a few cocktails when I told you to go ahead and try this at home...

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Brimill1234 View Post
    If your concerned with fuel why not get a Toyota?
    You must be referring to the Prius. LoL.

Fuel is important because I drive 20k miles per year. I also require low range and 4wd, preferably with axle lockers. I will settle for Terrain Response.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Roverdude View Post
    The other thing to consider is the Disco will be available with an activity key. It's like a fit bit sized bracelet that is shock and waterproof so you can leave your keys in the car, lock it up securely, and then go enjoy your outdoor pursuits. I think the Disco will be a bit more practical and looks to have slightly better off-road geometry.
    The activity key is a nice feature. I'd use it daily just so not to have a key or fob in my pocket. My Jeep Wrangler key is ridiculous. LoL.

Quote Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
    You must be referring to the Prius. LoL.

Fuel is important because I drive 20k miles per year. I also require low range and 4wd, preferably with axle lockers. I will settle for Terrain Response.
    No one actually looks at the difference. If you do the math at 20k a year your going to use 870 gallons with a petrol v6 at 23 mpg and 714 at 28mpg with the diesel based on high side sport numbers for 2016. This equates to an annual gallon difference of 156 gallons of fuel per year which at 3 bucks a gallon is only 468 dollars.

That's assuming petrol is same cost as diesel when at times can actually be more than gas.

Removing the gas consumption what exactly is it that your looking for? These are not going to have the ability to make into true off-road rigs as we have all found with current and previous sport models without major modifications. And the parts available to make them more capable are not in abundance. Even quality tires are hard to come by.
    2013 RRS HSE LUX Santorini black
    QuickSilver Exhaust
    20" Redbourne Nottinghams

I am a professional so please use caution, I may have enjoyed a few cocktails when I told you to go ahead and try this at home...

FRESHMAN ROVER

There is more to my decision then just absolute cost savings. The added torque is a great benefit off-road (and on road). The resale of diesel is higher then petrol well so payback is increased dramatically in the event of trade-in.

Downplaying the off-road capability of a RR here on the forum? You make me want to keep my Rubicon. I know stock vs stock my Rubicon is a clear winner off-road. It is more then I need though. I would like to trade some off-road ability for some on-road comfort. I'm shopping to see what LR offers.
    Last edited by RRToadHall; January 14th, 2017 at 03:28 AM.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I'm in the market too, same thoughts on the two, and must be a diesel for me also. RR Sport SE TD6 vs Disco HSE Td6.

For 2017, both get InControl Touch Pro standard. That is a must for me, so that's a wash.

From a pure off-road capability standpoint, between the Extra Duty package on the Sport and the Capability Package on the Disco, they're about even - very small differences in approach, departure, and break-over, some in the Disco's favor, some in the Sport's. So that's about a wash.

I can get brown Windsor leather in the Disco. That's a plus. The Espresso/Almond looks nice in the Sport, but it will get dirty.

Disco has a sunroof standard. Nice to have. Wouldn't pay for it on the Sport.

Sport is likely a better, more dynamic vehicle on the road, and I like driving. The Extra Duty package now comes with Adaptive Dynamics, which I believe used to be a separate $1,000 option.

Disco has more room for stuff for road trips and family expeditions, but it's also longer and taller. Thus wallowy-er. And it will be a tighter fit in my garage. And it weighs over 1,000 lbs more for some reason, so I expect worse fuel economy than the Sport and it may eat tires that much faster.

The Meridian 825W sound system is a $300 more expensive option in the Sport for some reason.

Roof rails are extra on both, but half the price on the Disco. Gotta have a place for the roof box...Skis and snowboards go up there because we need room for the lab - if it gets too crowded back there he just pants in my ear the whole time. No rails included = big fail for JLR. Reason: "they ruin the cleanliness of the lines" or some BS.

As I option them, the Sport is about $4K more expensive. But, judging by how many LR4's I see in Colorado, I think the Sport will be more rare and thus hold its resale value better. It's also been out for a few years now - I generally avoid the first model year of a vehicle unless I simply must have it.

FRESHMAN ROVER

DieselRanger, thanks for the detailed comments / advice.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I'm looking at both as well and leaning towards the Discovery 5 for several reasons:

Configured the way I want it the Discovery is around $12,000 cheaper. HSE with TDV6, off road pack, towing hookups and advanced tow assist, 825W Meridian and a few other options in Fuji white/black, 5 seats
    I think the space utilization is better in the Discovery with more places to put stuff (dual glove boxes, console and rear cargo area storage compartments).
    Although I haven't seen one in person I'm thinking the front seat might be mounted a little higher in the Discovery - I have an LR3 and really like the seating position - the RRS seat feels lower
    The second row seats fold down flat in the Discovery - a feature I like on my LR3 - the RRS seats don't get all the way flat
    More room in the rear compartment - I carry a 35 qt. 12v Engle fridge/freezer on trips that would take up half of the RRS cargo area.
    The rear seat looks more dog friendly than the RRS - more of a bench where the RRS middle seat is cutaway on the front edge. We use a hammock like sling in the rear so our standard poodle can ride along
    Maybe a little less likely to attract attention in sketchy areas in a Discovery than in a Range Rover - the Discovery might be mistaken for a Ford Explorer

I've owned a bunch of Land Rovers and I'd feel a lot better taking a Discovery off road than a Range Rover Sport - although I've taken some of my previous Range Rovers in places most people wouldn't even consider going

The only downside I've found with the Discovery is that Land Rover is not offering the Capability Plus Pack on the five seat model (locking rear diff and All Terrain Progress Control system) - you have to get the seven seat version to get that. The five seat version can get the Capability Pack which gives you the two speed transfer case and All Terrain Response system but not the rear locker and ATPC. I've been communicating with Land Rover USA about this on their facebook page and they are "looking in to it". Those of us who don't want or need the third row of seats are being overlooked. I have the third row seating in my LR3 and have never used it.
    I hope some other potential Discovery owners will contact Land Rover and express the same sentiments that I and a few other current LR3/LR4 owners have voiced.

I'll probably order my new truck as soon as they answer my question about the Capability Plus Pack - my build will cost about $68,000 if its configured the way I want it.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    The only downside I've found with the Discovery is that Land Rover is not offering the Capability Plus Pack on the five seat model (locking rear diff and All Terrain Progress Control system) - you have to get the seven seat version to get that. The five seat version can get the Capability Pack which gives you the two speed transfer case and All Terrain Response system but not the rear locker and ATPC. I've been communicating with Land Rover USA about this on their facebook page and they are "looking in to it". Those of us who don't want or need the third row of seats are being overlooked. I have the third row seating in my LR3 and have never used it.
    I hope some other potential Discovery owners will contact Land Rover and express the same sentiments that I and a few other current LR3/LR4 owners have voiced.
    I completely agree with you here. I am a 5 seat buyer and want the optional locking rear diff. I can't get it without spending a lot more for features I will never use. I would love to hear the outcome of your discussions.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
    I completely agree with you here. I am a 5 seat buyer and want the optional locking rear diff. I can't get it without spending a lot more for features I will never use. I would love to hear the outcome of your discussions.
    Don't be shy - let Land Rover of North America know - if enough of us demand it maybe we can make it happen.

Here's the link to what I posted on Land Rovers facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/landroverus...21542704537331

FRESHMAN ROVER

Jack, I will post on their FB or email them.

Another advantage of diesel is range, the new Disco is expected to get 600+ miles per tank with the TD6.

Does anyone know if LR is accepting orders for the Disco yet? If not, when can orders begin?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.