Scangauge II - Does it work with P38 V8 with no board comput
NEWS

1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Scangauge II - Does it work with P38 V8 with no board comput

Scangauge II - Does it work with P38 V8 with no board comput

Guys,

Hi do have a ELM OBD2 cable, it works on my P38 4.6HSE.

A friend of mine that has a P38 4.0 30th Anniverssary has no board computer. Strange for a limited edition model but useful for an expedition rig. No airbags too but airsprings yes of course.

He'd like to have some infos about his modified V8 (T liners, Piper 285 and others...).
    I send him my ELM327 to test. We'll see.

Scangauge II seller told him P38 isn't compatible with this device.
    Last edited by RRToadHall; November 23rd, 2016 at 06:54 AM.
    1997 P38 4.6
    LPG
    SD L322 Rack adapted to P38
    DC5000 EAS Compressor
    Arnott Gen3
    RR-EVOLUTION protection for P38 : front diff guard, rear diff guard, steering guard, fuel tank
    32 inch BF KM2 tires
    Custom Mantec Snorkel
    RPI Sport Exhaust
    H4 Bixenons bulbs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Scangauge II - Does it work with P38 V8 with no board comput

Quote Originally Posted by 996TURBO
    no board computer
    What do you mean by this?

No airbags too but airsprings yes of course.
    The words airbags and airsprings are often used interchangably - so you need to be more explicit when you're talking about different things! I.e. do you mean EAS/SRS/ etc.

Think about what your writing, read it again, and again, then think of how people could mis-interpret what your saying, and then change anything necessary. For some of my big posts it often gets re-written many times, before I'm fairly sure it can't be mis-interpretted!
    Paul
    '97 4.6 HSE, LPG dual-fuel, Arnott G3s

Quote Originally Posted by paul.adshead
    no board computer
    What do you mean by this?

No airbags too but airsprings yes of course.
    The words airbags and airsprings are often used interchangably - so you need to be more explicit when you're talking about different things! I.e. do you mean EAS/SRS/ etc.

Think about what your writing, read it again, and again, then think of how people could mis-interpret what your saying, and then change anything necessary. For some of my big posts it often gets re-written many times, before I'm fairly sure it can't be mis-interpretted!
    How do you name the thing that gives you infos on the message center about your gas mileage...? Board computer ? I didn't want to mean ECU or something.

This truck doesn't have any options at all, for example it has no ETC, nor SRS, nor cruise control. The perfect rig to avoid faults or defective options
    1997 P38 4.6
    LPG
    DC5000 EAS Compressor
    Arnott Gen3
    RR-EVOLUTION protection for P38 : front diff guard, rear diff guard, steering guard, fuel tank
    32 inch BF KM2 tires
    Custom Mantec Snorkel
    RPI Sport Exhaust
    H4 Bixenons bulbs

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

How do you name the thing that gives you infos on the message center about your gas mileage...? Board computer ? I didn't want to mean ECU or something.
    Ahh, fuel mileage/average speed/distance to empty? I think thaat's called a 'trip computer'.

This truck doesn't have any options at all, for example it has no ETC, nor SRS, nor cruise control. The perfect rig to avoid faults or defective options
    That's wierd. I would have thought they would put 'all the toys' on a 30th anniverary model! Maybe this one was setup up for an off-road advertising campaign by LR??
    Paul

Premium Member

I would go as far to say, does your friend actually have a P38?

They all had EAS, ETC, ABS, SRS and an On Board Computer as standard. (admitedly some early Diesels didnt have ETC)

Has he replaced the dash for some reason?
    1999 4.6 HSE Blenheim Silver

FRESHMAN ROVER

Has he had it from new? It may have been modified by the previous owner. As others have said airbags (SRS) were standard as was ABS (Anti Lock Brakes), ETC (Traction Control) and the computer. It would have to have an onboard computer (BCM) that would control the message centre on the dash. If you did not have a BCM the air suspension (EAS), electric windows, well basically every electric function on the car would not work.

Does the message center (screen between the speedo/rev counter) show anything such as gear selection and how many miles the RR has done?

Our ODB2 is a ELM323 bought from ebay for about 20 and connects via a laptop to give your fault codes etc. This works fine with P38 and all other ODBfitted cars we have had.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_UK_1984
    They all had ... an On Board Computer as standard.
    Err, not sure about this. I believe the trip computer was an option that was not on the lowest 'poverty spec' models.

Quote Originally Posted by an-drewm
    It would have to have an onboard computer (BCM) that would control the message centre on the dash. If you did not have a BCM the air suspension (EAS), electric windows, well basically every electric function on the car would not work.
    Hmmm, the 'trip computer' is in the instrument cluster - which is totally separate from the BECM. Next tme you've got your instrument cluster surround off, remove the dark connector (not the yellow one), wait half a minute, put it back in and start the engine. You will find that your "TRIP", TRIP 2", "L/100KM" / "MPG" figures are all gone. The "AVERAGE SPEED", "L/100KM" / "MPG" and "DISTANCE TO EMPTY" figures work from the "TRIP 2" values. The engine has to be running/car moving for a minute or so, before these values will display again.
    Paul

Premium Member

My ex-fuzz (poverty) model came without a trip. As the indicator stalk was a little floppy, I bought one with a trip button off ebay and fitted it.

It didn't work until AllyV8 used his testbook to activate it - now it works like a dream
    Kamran
    1998 - 4.0 - Ex Police 'Special Vehicle' - Single Point LPG
    http://www.clicksmilies.com/usersmil...e_steering.gif

FRESHMAN ROVER

[quote=paul.adshead]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dan_UK_1984":57otaiq1
    They all had ... an On Board Computer as standard.
    Err, not sure about this. I believe the trip computer was an option that was not on the lowest 'poverty spec' models.

It would have to have an onboard computer (BCM) that would control the message centre on the dash. If you did not have a BCM the air suspension (EAS), electric windows, well basically every electric function on the car would not work.
    Hmmm, the 'trip computer' is in the instrument cluster - which is totally separate from the BECM. Next tme you've got your instrument cluster surround off, remove the dark connector (not the yellow one), wait half a minute, put it back in and start the engine. You will find that your "TRIP", TRIP 2", "L/100KM" / "MPG" figures are all gone. The "AVERAGE SPEED", "L/100KM" / "MPG" and "DISTANCE TO EMPTY" figures work from the "TRIP 2" values. The engine has to be running/car moving for a minute or so, before these values will display again.[/quote:57otaiq1]

Thanks Paul but I am trying to get to the bottom of 996Turbos problem with a 30th Anniversarys computer. The 30th Anniversary is clearly not a poverty spec and therefore should have trip computer. I was trying to help by asking if anything on the message center is working at all. The orignal post says "has no board computer" then says "thing that gives you infos on the message center about your gas mileage" I am just trying to understand what is and is not working before I offer any suggestions.

It may well be a poverty model as from the info I have the 30th only came in 4.6 and 996 says his friend has a 4.0 so I don't reckon it can be a genuine 30th Anniversary.

Guys,

Hi do have a ELM OBD2 cable, it works on my P38 4.6HSE.

A friend of mine that has a P38 4.0 30th Anniverssary has no board computer. Strange for a limited edition model but useful for an expedition rig. No airbags too but airsprings yes of course.

He'd like to have some infos about his modified V8 (T liners, Piper 285 and others...).
    I send him my ELM327 to test. We'll see.

Scangauge II seller told him P38 isn't compatible with this device.

Bullsh** or not?
    Oops, it is in fact a 25th Anniversary. Limited Edition for France. Maybe for Offroad or to resist to the bad reputation of rangies electronics.
    1997 P38 4.6
    LPG
    DC5000 EAS Compressor
    Arnott Gen3
    32 inch BF KM2 tires
    Custom Mantec Snorkel
    RPI Sport Exhaust
    H4 Bixenons bulbs

Premium Member

So is it a Range Rover Classic then?? (25th anniversary of the classic)

I find it hard to believe that they would have done France a single special edition different to the rest of the world.

I refer to my original post - Is it actually a P38? In which case the engine size will be 3.9 or 4.2 if its a Classic - the 25th aniv' one was an LSE which had the 4.2
    1999 4.6 HSE Blenheim Silver

I would go as far to say, does your friend actually have a P38?

They all had EAS, ETC, ABS, SRS and an On Board Computer as standard. (admitedly some early Diesels didnt have ETC)

Has he replaced the dash for some reason?
    He didn't replaced the dash.
    He's the 2nd owner and that's not the 1st time i hear about a P38 V8 4.0 25th Anniversary with no ETC, no SRS, no trip computer but of course BECM, ABS, EAS...
    I know at least 2 in France.
    I always wonder why a limited edition doesn't have any of the gadgets but there may be a good reason. Those are not poverty spec P38, they have leather seats but not electric seats, nor heated
    1997 P38 4.6
    LPG
    DC5000 EAS Compressor
    Arnott Gen3
    32 inch BF KM2 tires
    Custom Mantec Snorkel
    RPI Sport Exhaust
    H4 Bixenons bulbs

Has he had it from new? It may have been modified by the previous owner. As others have said airbags (SRS) were standard as was ABS (Anti Lock Brakes), ETC (Traction Control) and the computer. It would have to have an onboard computer (BCM) that would control the message centre on the dash. If you did not have a BCM the air suspension (EAS), electric windows, well basically every electric function on the car would not work.

Does the message center (screen between the speedo/rev counter) show anything such as gear selection and how many miles the RR has done?

Our ODB2 is a ELM323 bought from ebay for about 20 and connects via a laptop to give your fault codes etc. This works fine with P38 and all other ODBfitted cars we have had.
    Yes the message center works and GEMS Ecu works too.
    1997 P38 4.6
    LPG
    DC5000 EAS Compressor
    Arnott Gen3
    32 inch BF KM2 tires
    Custom Mantec Snorkel
    RPI Sport Exhaust
    H4 Bixenons bulbs

FRESHMAN ROVER

Maybe it is some random dealer thing to try and shift an old stock or low grade P38. I would have thought there would be information on a ltd edition just after the launch of the P38. If it is unique to the dealer then it would be hard to help.

So is it a Range Rover Classic then?? (25th anniversary of the classic)

I find it hard to believe that they would have done France a single special edition different to the rest of the world.

I refer to my original post - Is it actually a P38? In which case the engine size will be 3.9 or 4.2 if its a Classic - the 25th aniv' one was an LSE which had the 4.2
    A P38 for sure with Gen3 and 18' Mondials
    I saw it last summer and may post some photos next few days.
    1997 P38 4.6
    LPG
    DC5000 EAS Compressor
    Arnott Gen3
    32 inch BF KM2 tires
    Custom Mantec Snorkel
    RPI Sport Exhaust
    H4 Bixenons bulbs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.